cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Own Router

Hi all,

It's soon time for a change of ISP and I'm seriously considering NowTV.  Can I use my own equipment?   I have a Netgear DM200 Modem and Asus RT-AC68U combination and I'd obviously like to carry on using it as the Asus is super.

Many thanks in advance for any replies

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User No modem mode as such I'm afraid. I would imagine turning off DHCP on one device and then turning off wireless once everything's up and running (although bear in mind if you need to access the router Control Panel you'd need to plug a PC/Mac in via Ethernet) although I haven't tried it myself so you may need to do further tinkering. I'd guess it depends if you want to use the Asus as a wireless access point or for more advanced router features. 

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

@Anonymous Userhave you checked whether or not “your own” router provides DHCP option 61 support? Some (a few) do. If yours does, you should be able to get it to work without having to resort to complicated scenarios! But maybe you’ve already checked and it’s no go?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@dr_necessitor 

I thought the DHCP option 61 requirement was for the ADSL modem as it asked for an IP address from the NOWTV/SKY DHCP server. So if one was trying to replace the NOWTV ADSL router with their own ADSL router or modem that DHCP protocol is required in order to talk to the NOWTV/SKY DHCP server

When I put a personal router behind the ADSL router (even though I will eventually put it in the DMZ) it will ask the ADSL router for an internal IP address and shouldn't need anymore sophisticated DHCP protocol than any other device on my internal network. I will not be going to the NOWTV/SKY DHCP server to ask for an IP.

Is that right?

@Anonymous User  Correct but my reading of your original query was that you were asking about replacing the Now Tv hub with a router of your own choice. Maybe I misunderstood. So if you’re now keeping the Now tv hub and putting your own router “behind” it, you’re going a different route and my previous comment (about DHCP option 61) is irrelevant to that scenario.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

for info without getting to technical ....

IPv4 NAT - every single packet that every single device (of yours) sends to the internet, will be NAT'd by your router. So the NAT workload is huge.

This includes every single packet from the internet, destined for one of your devices. As I said, NAT workload is huge.

If any of your devices have use an IPv6 Global Unicast Address then there is no NAT at all.

Using your own router - if your router has the option "Sky (MER) VDSL" under the connection tab/list then it will connect. My TP-Link VR2800 does and connects to nowtv broadband.

The VR2800 also has the option "Sky VDSL" but does not connect when this option is selected.

I am using the Hub2 at the moment as I'm in the first 10 days of operation with nowTV .... having looked at the config options of the Hub2 I'll be going back to my router after the linespeed has settled down in approx 2 weeks.

If any of the above needs expanding, please ask  🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have read so much on how to get your own username and password off now fibre hub. Unfortunately nothing has worked I tried the calculator it came up with a username and password that didn’t work. I tried wireshark but the one I’ve used seems different than the ones in videos. Or optimist just not doing something. I’m trying to use my ASUS ac88 as the wireless on the now router is rubbish. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. I’m a oldie as well so walk through would be great. I have tried to talk to now but they say they can’t give it to me 

thanks

bill

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Bill

see my post immediately above your post.

Yo need to find "Sky (MER) VDSL" in the list of service providers on your router.

Capture#02.JPG

Capture#03.JPG

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB 

to say I know much about NAT is far stretch. My concepts sound like yours.

But if something is in "modem mode" then I figured it was doing none of that activity you mention, it is merely turning the signals down the ADSL line into ethernet bits and spitting them out, there is no logic to sort anything out.