cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Own Router

Hi all,

It's soon time for a change of ISP and I'm seriously considering NowTV.  Can I use my own equipment?   I have a Netgear DM200 Modem and Asus RT-AC68U combination and I'd obviously like to carry on using it as the Asus is super.

Many thanks in advance for any replies

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User No modem mode as such I'm afraid. I would imagine turning off DHCP on one device and then turning off wireless once everything's up and running (although bear in mind if you need to access the router Control Panel you'd need to plug a PC/Mac in via Ethernet) although I haven't tried it myself so you may need to do further tinkering. I'd guess it depends if you want to use the Asus as a wireless access point or for more advanced router features. 

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. The NOW TV routers don't use the usual PPPoA authentication method that most routers use, if you're currently using the Asus as your wireless access point I would suggest you use the NOW TV Hub as the modem and connect the Asus to that to act as the wireless access point rather than trying to bypass the Hub altogether. Turning DHCP off on one of the devices should work. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks,

Does the NowTV hub have a "Modem mode" so to speak?

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User No modem mode as such I'm afraid. I would imagine turning off DHCP on one device and then turning off wireless once everything's up and running (although bear in mind if you need to access the router Control Panel you'd need to plug a PC/Mac in via Ethernet) although I haven't tried it myself so you may need to do further tinkering. I'd guess it depends if you want to use the Asus as a wireless access point or for more advanced router features. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Stay clear of Now Broadband. I’ve got it and it’s pants. The connection drops constantly 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV have just informed me over the phone that they do not provide any login details for their VDSL connection.

It is not possible to use their router in bridge/modem mode. Unfortunately this means that it's not easy to use your own equipment with their service. There are instructions online to work around this for Sky routers. Follow at your own risk:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/how-to-replace-sky-sr102-with-another-router-sky-fibre.1939217/

I feel it would be a lot better if NowTV were to actually provide the details.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I too like my router and I am not so happy that NOWTV will provide me a list of all the equipment connected behind the firewall to my NOWTV router when I run a "technical check" and then "find out more".

So I am about to undertake the same exercise of using my own router. My plan is to turn off NOWTV wi-fi and put my router in the DMZ. I plan to turn off DHCP on the NOWTV router and assign the IP for my personal router. The NOWTV router would see nothing but the personal router which would be naked to the internet, just like on a ADSL modem.

I would then connect my personal network, including wi-fi access points to the "inside" of my personal router.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Yes that’s how I’d try to do it.

All OK from the NAT point of view, do you think?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I hope so. I've never put anything in the DMZ before and do not know any of the implications on that level.

If there are issues I can disable the DMZ and just connect my router as a standard network device.

I wish I was competent enough to know the NAT workload levels incurred under each scenario. The goal is to have NAT workload at zero.

I would rather just set the NOWTV router to modem mode to get completely rid of NAT. But I am thinking NOWTV gets too much valuable marketable data on the home network activities to allow that.

RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

Perhaps I don’t know what NAT is then, as I thought it was the process by which each internal IP address was converted to the internet-facing public IP address when sending requests out to the ‘net, and then the responses back to the public IP were converted back to the internal address of the relevant requesting device?

So you couldn’t have a NAT workload of zero?

Happy to have it explained to me, though....

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.