cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Openreach port exists- will drilling be needed?

HI, I just signed up for NOW TV broadband, switching from Virgin, and there's a note that the engineer might have to drill a hole on the wall.  I noticed, however, that there is an existing Openreach Master socket with single socket, so will the drilling be necessary?

I'm asking mostly because I wonder if I really should bother my landlord about this.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Difficult to say until the BT Openreach Engineer attends the property.

If there is a single BT Master socket in your home, then it might involve just changing the BT Master Socket face plate or socket box itself which should be straight forward in most cases.

Would have thought if they need to rewire any cable they could fish the cable through any structure wall openings and difficult to say without the BT Engineer surveying on site what needs to be done.

Hopefully if there is any drilling involved (if any) it will be with a small battery drill when clipping cables to walls.

With regards to informing your Landlord, i suppose you need to check whats written in the tenancy agreement contract.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Difficult to say until the BT Openreach Engineer attends the property.

If there is a single BT Master socket in your home, then it might involve just changing the BT Master Socket face plate or socket box itself which should be straight forward in most cases.

Would have thought if they need to rewire any cable they could fish the cable through any structure wall openings and difficult to say without the BT Engineer surveying on site what needs to be done.

Hopefully if there is any drilling involved (if any) it will be with a small battery drill when clipping cables to walls.

With regards to informing your Landlord, i suppose you need to check whats written in the tenancy agreement contract.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the insight, that was a clear explanation.  Might as well inform our landlord the possibilities!