cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

OpenDNS FamilyShield blocked

I switched to NowTV from Vodaphone last month and have been using my own TP-Link router with OpenDNS FamilyShield as the DNS provider (IP address 208.67.222.123). This has worked without a problem for over a month until 02:00 this morning (20-08-2021), when the internet went down. 

After a lot of head scratching I determined that the connection to the NowTV gateway was fine. Switching to the Google DNS server (8.8.8.8) restored my internet and I then verified that the OpenDNS site was up even though my pings to it failed.

I use  FamilyShield to keep adult content out of the house. Why would NowTV block it and how I do I get the block removed?

2 REPLIES 2
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

This might be the reason which is effecting both NOW and Sky Broadband customers including myself.

See one example of a screen shot below taken from the Sky Twitter feed. 

Screenshot_20210820-092209.png

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

See if you can open this link article which gives an insight on what's happened to the Sky / NOW Broadband service that started around 2am this morning.

I couldn't open the article about half an hour ago, but I can now access the website to read it (which might be a good sign) .

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/08/sky-broadband-uk-isp-users-struggling-to-access-ionos-websites.html