cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Old landline number not ported over

I've had my original home phone number for over 55 years.  NOW took over on the 21st Dec 2018.  When I filled in the application to go to NOW I ticked to say I wanted to keep my original number.  I did not get an email to give me a new number prior to the go live date.  I have discovered that NOW have issued a new number.  Spoke to NOW customer service, they say that I did not request to port my number over, and that nothing can be done to get my old number back.  I know that I ticked the 'keep my number' box.  Spoke to previous supplier (Utility Warehouse) and even though my account is still valid until 6th January 2019 my original phone number has gone, they did not get a request from NOW to have my original number off them.  I have spoke to a BT engineer and was informed that by law the original number has to stay unused/not allocated to anyone else for 18 months.  I have raised a complaint with NOW and waiting for them to contact me.  After speaking to NOW customer services yesterday, they then sent me an email with my new phone number on it, (I had not previously been sent this email).  I will be contacting BT again to see if I transfer to them whether they can get my number allocated back to me given that I have stayed at the same address for the full duration of having that number (over 55 years).  Yes, I know this would incur a hefty cancellation fee from NOW but I am so adamant that I want to keep my original number.  I will also be contacting WATCHDOG to see if they can get involved.  I will also be letting WHICH consumer association know of the poor technology support offered by NOW if they do not rectify this stressful situation for me.

20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous User
Not applicable
We changed to Vodafone and registered with our old number. They got the old number back and now our phone works with that number. Good value too.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks good advice indeed after all the c--p I have had from lengthy
telephone calling.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry to hear the terrible position nowtv put you in, they will send someone to an early grave if they keep carrying on as they are 😪. Its a shame they haven't been told to cease trading while their processes and practices are put right. I'm sure their top brass and management aren't thinking of us customers but rather the profit the company can generate even as I'm typing this. I bet nowtv didn't even have the courtesy to call you about this matter and instead just sent you a generic email
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

I have just found myself in the exact same position as you were in a couple of years ago. My number (i have had since 1975) has been annoyingly changed without my saying so.

I was wondering if you found a way to get this issue resolved, and if so how you went about this?

Any advice would be helpful, as i'm sure you will know how frustrating this situation is!

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I just cancelled within 14 days and went with Vodafone. when it asked about keeping old number, I just put in my old landline I wanted to keep.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

did transferring to Vodafone successfully bring your old number through?

I've just checked Vodafone and their install date is more than 14 days in future, so beyond the 14 day cancellation.

What did you do?

Thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Yes it did

The install date doesn't matter, you may have to do without a phone for a couple of days but you get to keep your number.

I just took the gamble and it paid off. I am by no means an expert on this, just my experience.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

Thanks for replying. This is for my parents phone - nowtv claim the option to port number wasn't selected. It was - I ordered it and did think of screenshot the page / video it at the time in case of a problem.

Spoke to nowtv with their couldn't care less attitude of, the numbers gone and nothing can do.

In truth more like, we don't care and choose to do nothing.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just happened to us! They said it wasn’t requested and there’s nothing they can do. They advised us to contact our previous service provider to see if they can transfer it over but apparently it already has, then they said contact open reach to see if they can do anything. I spoke with open reach and they said that the department I need only deals with other service providers! So I went back to now tv and they just put me on hold and then hanged up! I’ve now put in a complaint but I’m guessing nothing will happen! We’ve had our number for 35 years 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
##- Please type your reply above this line -# I've now changed provider and
they offered to get me my old number back from BTand said Now will not pass
on the numbers which they give to their customers!
So for me this matter is closed. Thank you.