cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Occasional broadband dropouts

Hello, I'm using the Super Fibre broadband service and most of the time I'm getting 76Mbps down and 18.8Mbps up, which I'm very happy about. On several accasions in the last 3 weeks, however, the connection has dropped entirely. It's always easily fixed by doing a full power reset of the router, so it's an inconvenience at worst.

I'm wondering what could be causing it. Is it a sporadic problem at the Now TV end, or is it a problem this end? I'm connecting with a direct ethernet connection to the router, but I have two housemates who are connecting using wireless on a variety of devices. What can I do to investigate this? I'm technically proficient and don't mind delving into the router firmware pages... 

4 REPLIES 4
RoyB
Legend

I have a friend who had a WiFi device which could kill my router (not a NowTV one) every time he tried to use it in our home. Not an issue with his router in his home, though.

I got him to reset the device, after a reboot didn’t fix it, and after that it was fine.

So it could be a rogue WiFi device taking out the service. See if you can correlate the dropouts with them (or you!) using a particular device.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

When you say that the connection has dropped entirely is that the wifi connection or you actually lose the incoming internet ?

If it's a loss of wifi, then i used to get something similar using my Android phone and Chromecast dongles with the NowTV Hub 2 with random wifi drop outs (Ethernet kept working fine).

How i resolved it in my particular case was to go into the Hub Router webpage settings using 192.168.0.1 then select the Advanced Tab, then when prompted type admin & nowtv, then select the secondary LAN IP Setup tab, then untick the box saying Enable IPV6 on Lan Side, then click the green Apply Button at the bottom of the page.

Might be worth a try and if it makes no difference whatsoever, then go back into the NowTV Hub Router again and enable IPV6 back to it's previous setting.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps It's not the WiFi that's an issue, as I am connected by ethernet cable. What happens is that I lose the internet connection, as if I was physically disconnected, although all three green lights stay on.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Might be a dodgy Router, bad cable connection between the Router & Telephone BT socket or a temperamental line which needs further investigation.

If it was me i would give the NowTV Broadband Team a call for further assistance & help.

Also if your previous ISP was Sky and you still have the old Sky Router then maybe try the Sky Router with the NowTV Broadband service to see if the same thing happens which would eliminate the Router out of the equation has the cause of the internet dropout.