cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Nowtv broadband - best aftermarket modemrouter for fibre

Hi

My broadband is due to go live in a few days time. I have the box. I live in a 3 floor house and the supplied box will not be good enough for my needs. I need one with external antennae, home network management (guest wifi network, port controls etc, automatic wifi on/off [at night times]) etc.

I also need a good router that switches channels actively for best connection, has 5Ghz support etc.

I currently use tplink archer c2 and from what I hear it's not compatible as a modem-router for nowtv as it has ppoe connection and not mpoe to the ISP.

To save the headache, can anyone recommend me a good aftermarket routermodem that they've use and works for them (works standalone).

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've set up the now box, and my current archer c2 as an access point. As per the instructions here:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/417/?utm_medium=select-local

it's not perfect, but is working for now. Currently the features I'm missing are:

guest network isolation

static IP allocation for devices via mac address

wifi access schedule by mac address (for kids phones)

I would like an all in one aftermnarket router solution that does everyything I want. The archer c2 has a lot of features but I can't use most of it due to nowtv box wanting to be the host router.

I was with plusnet and they supplied an openreach box to just be the modem and I used a plusnet router to manage the wifi and local network which can be easily swapped out.

RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

You are asking people on here to help you breach your broadband contract with NowTV, which there may be some understandable reluctance to do.

Try this link, where there are knowledgeable people who can help you make that choice from the wide range of routers they sell. 

You can test that knowledge by mentioning NowTV Broadband, and seeing if they are familiar with the particular difficulties that brings, as well as your long list of additional requirements.

Chat button is bottom left on their page.....

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB i think youre hugely mistaken. Nowtv do allow you to use aftermarket routers, just they dont provide technical support for them. 

If nobody on nowtv forums has any clue then i doubt anyone else on a third party website can help figure this out.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I respectfully beg to differ, on both counts.

See here for :-

3.8 You must not use a modem or any other equipment that we have not supplied to you in order to access NOW Broadband.

Did you know you’d signed up to this? Apparently not.

Do we think NowTV should enforce it? Certainly not.

Do we think NowTV would enforce it? Probably not.

But do we think NowTV could enforce it? Certainly they could.

Hence my point.

And that ‘third-party website’ is for a company of router experts, supplying, and knowledgeable about, a whole range of routers of different makes, and who should know the capabilities, and the pros and cons, of each of them.

Beyond the nuts and bolts of configuring for NowTV, though, which they ought to know about because they need to know about the various ISPs out there, you are asking for some very specific, but not particularly NowTV-oriented, features.

The chance that someone on here will know enough about all the routers out there to pick the optimum router for your requirements - or even one that fulfils most or all of them - is rather small.

The chance that the people on the site I referred you to will know what to suggest, even if it is not 100%, is going to be about the best you can get.

Try them and see, at least. You have everything to gain, and nothing to lose.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for pointing me to that, I did not know that. I saw nowtv staff posted saying that we can use other routers, they just wont provide technical support for it.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Setup-Performance/TP-Link-Router-with-NowTv/m-p/457320/highlight/true... 

Plus loads of people openly discussing other routers on that thread including ways to generate the sky password using a third party website. Seems to not be enforced at all

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Yes, I’ve seen those also.

It seems NowTV are reluctant to use their big stick, and just use their little one.

I was surprised when I found that clause in the contract; BT were very relaxed about my NetGear Nighthawk, and helped me set it up.

But that was after BT Openreach had been out three times to see why my broadband over the BT Home Hub was going down every single day, and they couldn’t fix it....