cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV with my own Honor 3 router

Im considering taking out a new NowTV broadband contract.

1. Are they still enforcing the use of their own router?

2. Has anyone been able to use an FTTC VDSL Openreach Modem with a Honor 3 router?

I'm not sure if the Honor 3 supports option 61 and will work with NowTV.

Thanks in advance for any feedback !

3 REPLIES 3
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

1. You are breaking Now’s T&Cs if you use another make of router, and don’t expect much sympathy or support from the Now Broadband team unless any problem you have is reproducible with the Now router installed, and that is the one that Now see when they test your line.

But other than that, they don’t actively block other makes of router that can operate to the Sky/Now protocols.

2. Best asked on an Honor router forum, or maybe ask Honor themselves if this will work. I can’t find any detailed Honor 3 manual on the web, just the Quick Start Guide, something that does not bode well for anyone trying to probe the detailed settings possible with this router, e.g. Option 61.

One approach you could try is to have the Now router facing the internet, with WiFi and DHCP turned off, and a single Ethernet cable out going to the Honor 3, which you let handle the WiFi and DHCP for the rest of your internet devices.

This will let a number of the features of the Honor 3 shine while still complying with Now’s T&Cs and saving you some configuration grief, though I don’t know if you will lose out on any things it can only do if it is directly internet-facing.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

Just to add, NOW TV streams are completely agnostic and will be supported on any connection that provides sufficient bandwidth. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. Does the NowTV router have a bridge mode? I'm concerned about double Nat.

I had a look through my honor 3 settings. I see ppoe and dhcp but not option for 61. 😞

Thanks