cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV router on, No freeview.... Switch off NowTV router freeview/tv instantly comes back

Had many routers from other providers, latest being Plusnet.

Plugged the NowTV router in, Freeview and all TV channels go instantly to NO SERVICE

Unplug the router and instantly all TV channels back

Disabled wifi 2.4/5ghz makes no difference.

Googled the internet, nothing like it comes up.

If I want to watch Freeview I have to power off the router. If I want to use the router I can't watch TV.

New Hub 2.

Thoughts?

4 REPLIES 4
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I have the Hub 2 Router and it doesn't effect the Freeview signal on any of my devices (i.e nowtv smart box, BT YouView box or the inbuilt tuner on my Panasonic TV).

Just wondering if the Hub 2 Router is close to your Freeview device where it maybe causing interference with the Freeview signal ?

My Hub 2 Router is about 2 to 3 m away from my Freeview devices and TV aerial wiring.

If possible for a testing purposes, maybe try relocating the Hub Router into a different position and also try powering the Hub Router off a different mains electrical outlet to see if that makes any difference.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps@Anonymous User

I would agree with @schnapps here. Sounds like an interferance issue and have experianced the same with my Sky router and Freeview. IF my router is too close to the TV my freeview channels dissapear or become very unstable and blocky.

Do you use an indoor or oudoor earial? Im on an indoor one since we cant have one outside due to weather. Have you tired changing the router wifi channel, I think i have mine fixed on 11 as that worked for me also having the router reasonably high up from the ground. By default the Sky router will attempt to auto select the best channel but i found it did not do a very good job at it. Simply guessing here but i don't think there is much differance between the Sky Hub and the NTV one.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes if you move the router substantially away then TV signal comes back. However, given all the routers I've had, that I've lived here 5 years with the routers in the same position and that this issue happened the day I plugged this router in says this router is the issue.

TV aerial is external

If I turn off wireless on 2.4ghz and 5ghz  still makes no difference, so swapping channel numbers will make no difference. Wireless completely off just using LAN ports, still kills Freeview dead.

Freeview dead = TV channel scan with router switched off over 100 channels found. TV channel scan with router on = 0 tv, radio, data channels found.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Updated for anyone that may find this thread/have a similar issue - I've cancelled under the cooling off period. They've not heard of this before and because the internet is working and the service they provide is the internet - end of story. Whether the box is sending out interference/may be faulty in this way is a non-issue.

Did suggest sending me another router to swap out - was a no go.

As they go, all very happy and helpful people, a pleasure to speak to - seems to be a hardware "feature" here and not something I can live.