cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV Hub / Hiding SSID

Hi

I have recently joined Now TV Broadband and I am trying to configure my hub in the same way that I had my VirginMedia hub configured. 

I want to hide my network name (SSID) so that nobody else can see/attempt to connect to it. This wasn't a problem with VirginMedia and whilst I can find the option on the NowTV Broadband Hub settings "Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID)", when I untick the box and try to connect to the hub using the SSID and password, I get an error message saying that my device cannot connect. I have tried this on both a desktop PC and a laptop, as well as a mobile phone, and get the exact same problem every time. However, when I do allow the broadcast of the SSID, I can connect to the hub with no problem at all. Unless I am missing something obvious, looks like a fault with the hub - any suggestions? 

Thanks in advance

Raymond

7 REPLIES 7
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Just tested it out on my nowtv hub 2 router and it worked for me no problems.

When you unticked the "Allow Broadcast Name (SSID) did you click on the green apply button at the bottom of the screen or if you split the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands did you do the same procedure for both ?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Been having a further play around with hiding the SSID on my Hub 2 router and it's not straight forward as i first thought when attempting to re connecting my wifi devices (like you i am also a newbie to the NowTV Hub Routers).

If you get no luck on here from forum members who have more knowledge about the nowtv routers and wifi networking, then maybe give the nowtv broadband team a call to see if they can give you some further assistance.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps

Thanks for your replies. Out of interest, are you having the same problems trying to reconnect to the hub after disabling the ssid broadcast?

I've realised that I can connect everything except my two windows 10 PCs to the hub when the S S Id is hidden which is strange. They can connect to the virgin media hub though when the ssid in that is hidden, which makes me think the fault is with the now tv hub. ☹️
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I managed to get my Windows 10 tablet working on the hidden SSID on my home network by following these instructions in method 1 on this linked guide.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-connect-hidden-wireless-networks-windows-10

Seems to work for me with my limited time testing it so far, where i have hidden the 5ghz wifi band on my Hub 2 router (just for testing purposes) and this 5ghz SSID network doesn't now seem to be discovered when i search for available networks on my Android phone or any of my NowTV boxes etc (where the 5ghz was showing previously).

I am a bit of a novice when it comes to wifi networking to be honest and usually leave my router at their default settings (with some minor tweaks), therefore i would be more comfortable if you received some further assistance and guidance from somebody on here who is more knowledgeable than me.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi there - new to Now broadband (went live yesterday) and am also having problems when hiding my SSID on the Now Hub Two.  Ive split my wifi and can hide the 5GHz with no device issues but when hiding the 2.4Ghz, my laptop looses connection and wont auto connect as if its not there.  When I broadcast the 2.4Ghz SSID, its fine.  My laptop wifi is only single band, so cant connect it to the 5GHz network before thats suggested.  This used to work fine on my previous ISPs router.  Router is in the same location as my previous ISPs was and the laptop is too.  Theres probably about a meter, meter and a half between the two devices...  Any ideas anyone?  My mobile phones that are further away than my laptop that are dual band can connect to the 2.4Ghz wifi whether its hidden or not, its just my laptop which is a bit strange...

Thanks

Jimbo

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Bump

Anyone got/had the same problem or know how I can successfully hide my 2.4Ghz wifi?  My laptop is Windows 10..

Kind Regards

Jimbo

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just rebumping to see if anyone knows why my laptop might not connect to the 2.4ghz wifi on my now tv hub two box which is literally within 5 feet of it when I dont broadcast.

I spoke to the Now Broadband tech guys and they said its my laptop but Im not sure how that can be when my previous ISPs router worked fine with my laptop when hiding the 2.4ghz wifi.

Im not really happy about broadcasting my wifi for the next 11 months...  Unfortunately my laptop wifi card doesnt support 5Ghz so thats not an option...

Jimbo