cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV Broadband Hub Weak Signal

Hi

I switched my broadband from BT to NowTV on 5th December.  We are still in the 10 day settling in period so I expect to see speed fluctuations but the issue we have is with the signal from the hub.  The signal is very weak and starts to drop to 2 or 3 bars after moving just 3 metres away and does not get to the back rooms at all.  I have positioned the router in the same place as the BT hub, and pressed reset to get the best channel (though this should not be an issue as neither of our nextdoor neighbours has broadband).  We have no other lines we can try to use.  Is this issue common, and will it resolve itself after the 10 day period?  At the moment this is impacting many of our "connected" kit in the house.

From reading other threads my understanding is that NowTV broadband can only be supplied via the NowTV hub and that buying a new router will not work.  Is this correct?

I know an extender may help, but we don't really want to pay for one as we did not need one with BT, and I'm wondering if the kit is faulty.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks!

50 REPLIES 50
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

Can you send me similar instructions please to change the channel on the router?

My router doesn't seem to be able to send the signal through walls that I know are just plasterboard stud walls and the bedrooms are not receiving a signal.

Thank you

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User 

If you have an Android phone, I recommend you download a free app called WiFi Analyzer from the Google Play store , and try its various options with your setup.

What does the View/Signal meter show, for instance, right up by the router, and progressively further away? 

Does your broadband stand head and shoulders above other neighbouring signals on View/Channel graph, or is it swamped by them?

Can you move to the best channel shown by View/Channel rating, if you are not already on it, and does that make an improvement?

WiFi Analyzer is a tool I would not be without, and it is a great shame that there can be no comparable tool on iOS devices, due to the restrictions Apple put on what apps in their AppStore can and can’t do.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Im having the same problem. No local signal in the bedroom. Had no problem with BT hub. Only the first day of NowTv broadband and not happy...help or we cancel.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I’m having exactly the same problem. Extremely weak signal from NOW TV hub after switching from BT hub. Advice on how to improve signal would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, we changed from BT BB, to Nowtv in June 2018, and ever since the change, the quality, the level of stability, basic browsing has been a real pain. I’m thinking of cancelling my subscription with Nowtv for BB and telephone calls. Please advise!!!!. This is becoming serious and urgent too. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just to let those with same problem know of my solution. I too had BT but when they switched me from their Homehub 3 to a HH4 I found advice on the internet as to how to convert the HH3 into an extender and it worked as such for several years. I have now connected the modified HH3 via the same TP Link network (using the house electrical system) to the Now TV Router and to my surprise it still works as an extender on the other side of the house giving speeds of over 30 mb/sec.

I also needed more than the two ethernet sockets provided on the Now TV router, but rather than buy a ""switch" I found I could simply plug in another TPLink adaptor into the same electrical circuit  ( next to the TV in this case) and it connected into the first two without problem.

You can do the same with a BT HH 4 or 5 and/or convert it to use it as a switch to connect in extra ether net cables. 

Not complicated if you follow the instructions carefully

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Please send me the email too as this is our first day and no access in bedroom.
Thanks.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

I have emailed you steps to check the wireless channels. Please also take into account the position of your HUB and things around it that may cause interference.

Cheers

Eddie

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Eddie, I ended up buying a wireless extender from Curry's. This has
sorted the signal in the bedroom out.
Thanks again though.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi

I have weak wifi signal in the back extension of my house in the kitchen, which is where I work usually on my laptop

The Now TV BB router is in the sitting room .

I also have no wifi signal in my bedroom which is above the router on first floor

I am working at home and I can only do Teams meetings on my laptop if I sit right next to the router which is uncomfortable as there s no   way to put a desk there.

What can I do to improve the signal?