cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV Broadband Hub Weak Signal

Hi

I switched my broadband from BT to NowTV on 5th December.  We are still in the 10 day settling in period so I expect to see speed fluctuations but the issue we have is with the signal from the hub.  The signal is very weak and starts to drop to 2 or 3 bars after moving just 3 metres away and does not get to the back rooms at all.  I have positioned the router in the same place as the BT hub, and pressed reset to get the best channel (though this should not be an issue as neither of our nextdoor neighbours has broadband).  We have no other lines we can try to use.  Is this issue common, and will it resolve itself after the 10 day period?  At the moment this is impacting many of our "connected" kit in the house.

From reading other threads my understanding is that NowTV broadband can only be supplied via the NowTV hub and that buying a new router will not work.  Is this correct?

I know an extender may help, but we don't really want to pay for one as we did not need one with BT, and I'm wondering if the kit is faulty.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks!

50 REPLIES 50
Anonymous User
Not applicable

HI all,

So I can't use my old sky router instaed of NOWTV hub ? It has been a couple of months now and my fibre speed seems comparable to my old non fibre broadband with sky, and it only covers 80% of the house unlike the previous router, this was supposed to be an upgrade in broadband but all I get is buffering and delays in streaming programs and a really bad signal in the house. Different router same location and same things surrounding it, only change is the very poor hub, is this the same as Skys old home hub wich was also pretty rubbish ? Suggestions anyone otherwise I'm stuck with this for a year before I can bin it.

Thanks.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Been using Now TV's fibre service since February and can't wait til 25th May when I switch back to BT Infinity.

The Now TV router really is rubbish. I was with BT previously and never had an issue at all. But I now get frequent drop outs due to the crappy wifi signal. The router is also quite basic compared to the BT homehub.

Good thing that I'm not tied to a 12 month contract.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks. But Now TV will not give out the broadband username and password though. So won't be able to use any other router other than theirs.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,
Having the same problem, could I have the email as well.

Thanks
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. Try rebooting your broadband hub as this should make it choose the best wireless channel for your environment, which may improve matters for you. If not, you can manually change the wireless settings by (assuming you are a Combo customer) going to

http://192.168.0.1/Now_TV_wireless_channel.html

and logging into your router (username: admin password: nowtv unless changed by you) and choosing a different wireless channel (1, 6 or 11 preferably).

If you are still having problems after that you can always give the Combo Team a call and they can look into things further for you.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The Nowtv Hub and Sky Q hub are the worst pieces of Kit I have ever come across.  the hub is 1.3m away from the LG TV and I get 83% changing channels makes no difference. this is with 1 laptop, 2 phones & 1 TV connected in the network. if you go into another room even through  stud walls, the signal drops to under 70%. This kit is simply not suitable for use other than in the same room as the hub. if you are in a old house with thick walls forget it unless you piggy-back a decent router off the hub. so imho this could easily be wifi related

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Also having signal issues, would like info on how to extend. Thanks
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The NOW TV wifi signal is very weak. Far weaker that my previous Talk Talk router which is several years old.

I now have a TP-Link AV500 wifi extender. How do I connect it?

Does the NOW TV router have a wifi button?

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I now have a TP-Link AV500 wifi extender. How do I connect it?

You read the instructions that came with it, and do what they say.

They probably tell you to plug it in near to the router, connect in a browser to the Extender, and configure it by giving details of the router - SSID and password most likely, so it can connect to it.

Does the NOW TV router have a wifi button?

Probably, but don’t touch it, as the router is almost certainly delivered with WiFi turned on.

It’s possible you mean WPS, by which you put the Extender in searching mode, and press the WPS button on the router, which authorises it to connect to anything out there that is searching, saving you having to give SSID and password.

Once the two devices are connected, you then move the Extender to a mains socket about halfway between the router and the thing it can’t currently reach.

if the Extender can’t see the router from there, move the Extender the minimum distance nearer to the router that allows it to connect, and hope that the Extender makes a better fist of WiFi than the router does, so the remote location can still see the Extender.

Hopefully, the Extender will rebroadcast the same SSID as the router; but if it doesn’t, you will have to connect the remote device to the SSID of the Extender.

If any or all of this seems like gibberish to you, ask around your friends until you find one who understands it, and let him/her set it up for you. Once set up, it should be pretty straightforward to use.

And then take them out for a decent drink of their choice.....

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.