cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV Broadband Hub Weak Signal

Hi

I switched my broadband from BT to NowTV on 5th December.  We are still in the 10 day settling in period so I expect to see speed fluctuations but the issue we have is with the signal from the hub.  The signal is very weak and starts to drop to 2 or 3 bars after moving just 3 metres away and does not get to the back rooms at all.  I have positioned the router in the same place as the BT hub, and pressed reset to get the best channel (though this should not be an issue as neither of our nextdoor neighbours has broadband).  We have no other lines we can try to use.  Is this issue common, and will it resolve itself after the 10 day period?  At the moment this is impacting many of our "connected" kit in the house.

From reading other threads my understanding is that NowTV broadband can only be supplied via the NowTV hub and that buying a new router will not work.  Is this correct?

I know an extender may help, but we don't really want to pay for one as we did not need one with BT, and I'm wondering if the kit is faulty.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks!

50 REPLIES 50
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi

I switched my broadband from BT to NowTV on 5th December.  We are still in the 10 day settling in period so I expect to see speed fluctuations but the issue we have is with the signal from the hub.  The signal is very weak and starts to drop to 2 or 3 bars after moving just 3 metres away and does not get to the back rooms at all.  I have positioned the router in the same place as the BT hub, and pressed reset to get the best channel (though this should not be an issue as neither of our nextdoor neighbours has broadband).  We have no other lines we can try to use.  Is this issue common, and will it resolve itself after the 10 day period?  At the moment this is impacting many of our "connected" kit in the house.

From reading other threads my understanding is that NowTV broadband can only be supplied via the NowTV hub and that buying a new router will not work.  Is this correct?

I know an extender may help, but we don't really want to pay for one as we did not need one with BT, and I'm wondering if the kit is faulty.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks!

@Anonymous User

Hi Alex

Welcome to the forum

We have just sent you an email with instructions on how to improve the wireless signal

Thanks

Aaron

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your help. Changing the channel on the router has helped. It still isn't as strong as BT but definitely better.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just moved to now tv broadband but the coverage is very limited ie to one room is the box faulty ? How can I improve the coverage as this is almost unusable for our household not practical to be restricted to one rooM in the house any hints or tips ? Never had this problem with previous provider. Is it to late to cancel ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

In a worse case scenario, and not that you should have to, you could disable DHCP on your existing/old router, then connect to the ethernet of the nowtv router.  This would allow you to use your old router with the nowtv router and both the wireless from your nowtv router and your old router.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Welcome to the community. The Hub 2 provided by NOW TV is a pretty good router (rebadged Sky Q router) and you should get good wifi coverage from it. If you've tried rebooting it (to make sure it selects suitable wifi channels) and you've followed the usual placement recommendations (central location, away from potential sources of interference, open area) as far as you are able and you still have trouble then I'd suggest giving the Broadband Team a call, they can troubleshoot and send out a new hub if needed.

You can find the telephone number for the Broadband Team by going to your My Account >Broadband and Calls page

https://account.nowtv.com/my-package

and click the Moving Home section.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

We’re having the same problems. WiFi signal from the Hub 2 is so weak that the extender I bought can’t connect to the network unless it’s right next to the router, which totally defeats the point. Changing channel makes no difference.  I’ve used up all my mobile data allowance this month because I can’t get the WiFi I’ve paid for in my own home! 

Only other thing to try is moving the router, but not many options if it has to be plugged in to the master phone socket with a 1m cable. 

Really disappointed with Now TV Fibre optic. By far the worst we’ve ever had. 

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Welcome to the community. The Hub 2 is a rebadged Sky Q router and has pretty good wifi performance (you can read reviews of the Sky Q router online). I had no problems using it, and my house often has difficulties with wifi due to its construction. I'd suggest there's something wrong with the hub if troubleshooting doesn't help. If you haven't already give the broadband team a call and they can troubleshoot and/or arrange a replacement as necessary. You can find the telephone number for the Broadband Team by going to your My Account > Broadband and Calls page

https://account.nowtv.com/my-package

and click the Moving Home section.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Alex,

We just moved to Now Tv broadband and cannot get the reception anywhere outside our room. Could you please advise the steps to me too to enhance the signal strength?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi

switched broadband from talk talk as I hated speaking with their customer services... however at least I had wi fi. It awful, I can’t watch anything as the WiFi is so weak. I use hive but that keeps going, Netflix and now tv is impossible to watch and I’ve used all my data allowance on my phone. Please help. I was told that the routers are rubbish, so they have sent me another one??? I was then told to buy an old sky hub as they are so much better??? I just want the WiFi to work../