cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV without wifi

Hi, good evening. I currently have a Nowtv stick and have to say I've had 0 issues with it. That being said we are converting our garage into a man cave and the wall I would like to have my television on is a wee bit to far for a wifi connection from the house. My question is if I mount it to the selected wall will i still be able to get sky sports without a WiFi connection. Thanks 

7 REPLIES 7
Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User unfortunately, without a WiFi (internet) connection you won't be able to use now TV.

Have a look at getting a WiFi booster to extend the range of your signal.

https://www.argos.co.uk/browse/technology/laptops-and-pcs/networking/wi-fi-boosters/c:649215/

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Get a SIM with a unlimited data. Set mobile up as hotspot.

£18/month

https://smarty.co.uk/plans/unlimited

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User really would not recommend spending £18 a month (£216 a year!!!) on a mobile hot spot when a single £15-£20 WiFi extender will do the trick! 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My question is if I mount it to the selected wall will i still be able to get sky sports without a WiFi connection.

@Saint1976 I answered the question how to get it without a wifi connection. As per the subject. 

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User 

Semantics is the study of meaning in language. It can be applied to entire texts or to single words. For example, "destination" and "last stop" technically mean the same thing, but students of semantics analyze their subtle shades of meaning.

will i still be able to get sky sports without a WiFi connection doesn't mean how do I get it to work without WiFi.

It's like asking will my car work without petrol and you telling them no you'll have to tow it everywhere!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Saint1976 Why are you doing this? You gave a reply, and I gave a reply. Both are valid in this situation, yet you decide to take issue with my response.  I am sure the original poster can decide what works in his situation.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

While those two are squabbling..... 😛

If you don’t use a WiFi connection, you will have to use an Ethernet connection.

This means getting a NowTV Smart Box in place of the Stick, about £45, and running Ethernet cable into the man cave, price unknown.

Alternatively, you could use a pair of PLAS (PowerLine Adaptors) to pass the Ethernet over the mains into the garage. About £40.

So about £85 that way, all in.

And still the WiFi problem for anything else you might want to use in there.

So, best all round, use a pair of PLAs where the remote end is also a WiFi hotspot:-

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/321_3076_30123_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html

£40 or £60. I use the higher-spec £60 set (faster, dual band) to give me WiFi in my garden room, though the £40 set might do you.

And thus still use your existing NowTV Stick.

The other great thing about this solution is that it gives you WiFi all over the man cave. You don’t want to be out there and find you have to burn mobile data to use your hand-held devices.

If your TV is Smart, that will probably want the WiFi as well. And if you have anything that needs Ethernet, e.g. a YouView box, there’s a port for this on the £60 pair, and three ports on the £40 pair. Though who needs three remote Ethernet ports these days?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.