cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV router as modem for TP-link

I know there are lots of posts elsewhere but struggling to find one easy to follow. 

I have a TP-link Archer AX50 | AX3000. When I tried directly connecting the WAN from the socket to the router the input wasn't recognised. Now it is working through the Now TV router I guess effectively working as an extender (ethernet out on Now router to WAN input on TP-link). Network is functioning but it seems like this is probably sub-optimal. 

Wondering what my options are? Is there a way to turn the now TV router into a modem only? Or is there a way to bypass it completely? 

Many thanks,

3 REPLIES 3
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Not sure if this thread will help.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Setup-Performance/TP-Link-Router-with-NowTv/td-p/457289/page/10

Sorry I’m with BT for broadband so I’m just searching through the forum to see what’s available.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

You need to turn off two functions on the Now router; the WiFi and the DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol). The latter is what assigns IP addresses to devices on your network, and you need to let the TP-Link do that exclusively.

And the TP-link needs to be the only device connected to the Ethernet on the Now router.

But make sure the Now router has the IP address it expects to be, and the TP-Link isn’t trying to use the same IP address.

I am told that the above causes something called double NAT (Google it); this doesn’t matter for general use, but can cause problems with:-

• Online games
  • VPN connections
  • Port forwarding and triggering
  • Secure websites that use SSL

The solutions to this involve removing the Now router, or putting it in bridge mode, neither of which is feasible here, or putting the TP-Link in AP mode, which you might be able to do, and probably means letting the Now router do the DHCP again (I’m not clear on this, but maybe an expert can chip in).

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
allanc
Scholar 3

@Anonymous User 

Per @RoyB turn wifi off on now tv hub, disable "use router as dhcp server in advanced->lan ip setup and put ax50 in access point mode

Ideally you would want the ax50 to obtain the public ip address which isn't possible as the ax50 does not appear to support dhcp option 61