cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV keyboard won’t work

I have literally been trying to resolve this with Now TV customer support for weeks, 

basically when using the keyboard to type in my login details on the now tv app anytime you press up or down it skips a row of the letters, it also does this skipping action in some of the menus. As you can imagine this makes it impossible to sign in or even navigate the menus as I can’t select specific letters.

I don’t have this issue on any other app on my Roku stick, just the Now TV app, After many many different troubleshooting with customer support they refused to admit it may be an issue with the app and stated i needed a new stick. To date I have bought a second one and gone to a previously used Now smart stick and all 3 including the one I just bought yesterday have this issue. 

This leads me to believe it’s an issue with the app and it needs updating maybe? Customer support said that there are zero issues with Now TV which was a pretty bold claim. 

I am literally at the end of my tether with this I have probably put about 10 hours into just trying to fix this total. Help me out please 😞

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Exact same thing happened to me, matching your issues exactly. Went through 3 brand new Roku boxes and still to this day have this issue and unable to log in. Must have spoken to customer support over 20 times and just like you they said there is no software issue with the broken Now TV app and the stick must be at fault. Been ongoing issue for over 6 months now. Refuse to admit the software has a bug that needs fixing.

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User download the Roku app to a mobile device and use the keyboard on your phone to log in.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I’ve tried the Roku app and unfortunately you can’t use your phones keyboard when logging in using the Roku app as a remote control. 

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User apologies, you used to be able to use the keyboard but it seems that function has been removed.

I'm currently using a Roku premiere and have logged in/out of the Now app several times without problem, using both the supplied remote and the directional buttons on the Roku mobile app so inclined to agree that this is an isolated issue.

I can only find one thread in the Roku community with a related issue. If this was a Now app related problem, I'd expect to find more reports.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Remotes-Accessories/Remote-skips-or-jumps-over-multiple-channels/td-p/602862

This is the only other thread I can find but it's very old

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other-Podcasts-Partners-etc/Roku-Channel-button-press-double-skips-selections/td-p/308468

My best suggestion is to post to the Roku community and see if anyone there can help.

RoyB
Legend

@Saint1976 @Anonymous User 

This is on an iPad, but my Roku Remote App shows:-

8DEF0A29-07CB-4AF4-8577-ABC98973546B.png

This is driving the Roku Express in the Utility Room, but I get the same for the Roku Premiere in the Lounge.

And you can see this isn’t a dedicated iPad app, but is an iPhone app running in iPad mode.

Can you try your Roku app again, and see if there isn’t the virtual keyboard at the top in the middle for you to use?

FB1FB579-12CC-485E-BC0F-5AFC9C74A876.png

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Saint1976
Elite 3

Hi @RoyB the Android app is different in that opening the keyboard in the Roku app forces the Android keyboard to open. You can enter text but only on the controlling device. Nothing transfers to the Roku device. That feature used to work as I used it to set up my Roku when I first purchased it.

Screenshot_20211107-135909.jpg

Screenshot_20211107-135933.jpg

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User @RoyB I'm not the only one who can't get the Android keyboard to work

https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Mobile-App/App-keyboard-no-longer-works-with-latest-NowTV-update/td-p/704947

RoyB
Legend

@Saint1976 @Anonymous User 

Yes indeed, Damn. It seems that ‘have keyboard’ <> ‘can use keyboard’ 😢

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Saint1976
Elite 3

@Simon-J can you find out if the Roku remote control app will have the keyboard activated with the Now app please?

It used to work and was a really nice feature for searches and entering username/password.