cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV Hub 2 frequently disconnecting from internet

My Now TV Hub Two repeatedly disconnects from the internet (middle light on the hub turns from green to off for several seconds, then flashes orange, then stays orange until it reconnects and turns green). This started happening maybe a couple months after I first got the router in August 2019 and occurred maybe once every few days. It then became much more frequent at about once a day, and now probably averages a disconnect every couple of hours (sometimes it can be fine for an extended period, sometimes it will disconnect several times in half an hour). Here is a link to a similar post but appears to be unresolved. 

Any help at how to fix this would be greatly appreciated as this has become unbearable, especially now I'm working from home and making frequent online calls. If it's a problem with the router itself I would absolutely be willing to buy a new third party one (assuming that's possible), I just need this resolved ASAP.

Extra info:

• Internet drops across all connected devices (connected to a PC via ethernet as well as various other devices over wifi).
  • Have double checked the connection between the filter and the hub as well as the ethernet to PC, doesn't appear to be any problems there.
  • Have tried pulling the power from the router when it's gone down as well as turning it off over night, neither of which seems to change the frequency of the disconnects afterwards.
  • The hub is pretty warm to touch but nothing particularly out of the ordinary for a router.
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi I've recently just started having identical issues to you. Did you manage to find a remedy? 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've been having IDENTICAL issues since mid-September and it's driving me insane. May I ask what general area/town/city you're in?

My set up or configuration has not changed, yet my connection is dropping 5 to 10 times a day. There is no rhyme, reason or pattern to it that I can identify.

I've had 2 engineers round who've tested my line and found no problems. NowTV have sent me a new router which made no difference. I'm at my wit's end.

I thought it might be electrical interference either within my apartment building, however purely conincidentally, my landlord has had electricians round this week inspecting all the wiring in the building so I don't think it can be that. It could be interference outside the building somewhere between this building and the exchange but again, nothing has changed in the area that I can identify.

I've been looking at the Hub 2 router logs from today when it's dropped and when I lose connection, I get 2 errors showing up; "ADSL link down" and "PPP connection down". A bit of Googling tells me that the "PPP connection" is the link between the exchange and the ISP (NowTV). So that may be my next line of enquiry when I contact NowTV again.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
This is happening in Luton
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm also having this issue. No problems at all in the first year. Then started happening a few months after my contract renewal. Got to the point where it was dropping 4 - 5 times a day. When it dropped 3 times in an hour I had to call support. Openreach engineer was arranged and he replaced my phone socket. Was fine for 3 weeks and now it's started again. 4 -5 drops a day.

Trying to find online support and I'm going round in circles. I take it I can't call support at this time of night (00:50).

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  @Anonymous User  @Anonymous User  @Anonymous User 

Hey Guys

This may or may not help, and I have mentioned it elsewhere in this forum before, but after a year the broadband filter starts to fail and needs to be replaced.  And the way the fault presents itself is by the Internet line dropping and reconnecting randomly, at and for different lengths of time.

When my modem router starts to play up, especially after a year or so of use, I replace the old filter with a new one. This has always solved my "up and down" Internet disconnecting problem so far, and the filters are cheap enough for anyone to give this solution a punt, i.e. they usually cost £3.00 - £5.00 from Amazon.

UK Bob 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks but mine wasn't the filter. When it first happened in October NowTV already arranged for an Openreach engineer to visit. He replaced my phone socket with a new one that split the ADSL and phone line so no filter was needed.

Was fine for about 3 weeks and then it started happening agian; first a couple of times a week and then up to 6 -7 times a day. This prompted me to call support again.

Openreach engineer was arranged again and this time he boosted the SNR (at the loss of some speed). So far no drops but it hasn't been a week yet. Fingers crossed this has fixed it.

NowTV were really good. They even sent me a replacement router in case the engineer visit didn't fix the issue.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hi Baoser

Yes, SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) is another one of those bugbears that will always hit the Internet user over the course of time.  

Glad you got this problem under control so that when and if it occurs again you have your solution ready and waiting.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I guess I tempted fate. 🙄

Woke up this morning and noticed my Amazon echo was playing up. Checked my router logs and the line had been like a yo-yo. About a dozen drops between 5am - 8am. (There could have been more over night but the logs only went back as far as 5am.)

Hope it's not a sign of things to come. The service had been solid for over a year and that's why I renewed my contract for another 12 months.

Unfortunately adjusting the SNR is not something we can do on our end.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am having the same issues! Joined Now TV in August of this year. It’s been 3 months with a brand new router and we’re having every single one of the exact same issues described. I am based in the city centre of Manchester. Support told us it might be the wires but it’s definitely the connection as the router is brand new. Can anyone help?