cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV HUB 2 very hot and drops all the time

We’ve had now TV broadband problems for the past 2 months now which the internet connection dropping from anywhere between 1 minute to hours at a time. 5 engineers have come out AND we’ve had a replacement router but it’s not solving the issue. External engineer due to come out this week and look at the exchange as there are problems on the line.

HOWEVER - I’ve noticed the router gets VERY hot, as do the replacement ones and I’m wondering if this is contributing to the issue because on touching it after it’s cut out the temperature is rediculous! 

Its placed in a space on its own out of direct sunlight but near an open window to help cool it down, but I’m tearing my hair out with all these issues. 

Has as anyone else had this issue? How do you solve it? 

Considering moving to a different provider if it’s just an issue with Now Tv Hub 2 routers. 

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Routers tend to be warm to hot to the touch because the boards are near to the plastic and are based on a single System-On-Chip (SOC) that combines the modem, main CPU and Wi-Fi transceiver.

The grill rack is a good idea to ensure there is circulation of air around it (particularly in warm weather) but it sounds like Sky have mobilised Openreach as they be seeing a high error rate on the line which could be due to poor copper condition, interference or in some cases just due to line length.

I hope they get it sorted for you.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Are you losing the green internet light on the front of the Router or are you only experiencing WiFI drop outs ?

I have installed three NowTV Hub Routers and they all operate quite hot, where all three have been pretty stable to be honest.

I noticed you mentioned that your Router is close to a Window (which is not ideal, where personally i wouldn't recommend locating a router near any reflective surfaces such has glass etc).

All three NowTV Hub Routers that i have fitted have walls in their proximity rather than any reflective surfaces such has windows.

Could you experiment by temporary relocating the Router or fitting something between the window and back of the router (maybe cardboard) just to see if the WiFi drop outs improve.

If you are losing the internet, then ignore the above.

Sorry i couldn't offer any further help.

Hope you get it resolved.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey! 

Thanks for your reply reply and the detail - 

It’s not placed directly in front of a window the way I think I made it sound, it’s actually in the corner of a room in the centre of our flat, but there is a window on the wall slightly to the right of the router about 1 metre away - not enough to reflect light onto it.

its the internet light on the front that goes, but after some research online read that overheating might be an issue so wanted to see if anyone else had a similar issue - by the sounds of it it’s likely just the line problem rather than the router if three of yours have been running okay - 

We are having. To regularly switch it off during periods of long outage and reboot it which brings back connectivity for an hour or so, then starts all over again so wondered if the heat may be partly to blame.

ive propped it on top of a grill rack just to experiment but feel it’s likely a line issue then.

thanks for your advice!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Routers tend to be warm to hot to the touch because the boards are near to the plastic and are based on a single System-On-Chip (SOC) that combines the modem, main CPU and Wi-Fi transceiver.

The grill rack is a good idea to ensure there is circulation of air around it (particularly in warm weather) but it sounds like Sky have mobilised Openreach as they be seeing a high error rate on the line which could be due to poor copper condition, interference or in some cases just due to line length.

I hope they get it sorted for you.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the detail - I’m so glad to hear that I might not be the only one with this issue if that’s the case - an external engineer is coming out this week so fingers crossed they get it sorted - been having downage constantly for the last 2 months, tearing our hair out now lol! 

Thanks for your help! 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If you are losing the green internet light on the front of the Hub Router or it turns from green to amber then it sounds to me an intermittent fault on the line somewhere which the Engineer needs to investigate.

I doubt it's the Hub Router if you have received a replacement with the same results, where i don't think it's heat releated.

The only thing you can check is the RJ11 cable between the back of the router and the BT master telephone socket and the power lead and plug to the router.

I am assuming when the new replacement Router arrived you swapped out these two items with the new cable and power adapter to eliminate these out of the equation ?

Hopefully the Engineer will get to the bottom of it and have you up & running interruption free (fingers crossed).

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hey,

Yes that’s correct - this was the first thing I changed - they’ve also changed every possible internet connection socket in my flat and in the main building which connects our flat block to the green block, and also various bits inside the green box.

From our engineer the other week (our 5th one) he changed the line between the exchange and green box, but said there might still be faults on the exchange equipment so we’ve got someone investigating that this week - really hoping it solves the issue now that it’s safe to say heat is also eliminated!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

July heat wave - hardwired internet out, wifi OK.

Checked hub2 and was running at 53 degC - thats high!

My SOLUTION: flip the hub over so the vents are at the top - HEAT RISES!

Half an hour later, 41 degC with a current ambient of 28 degC and hardwire connection OK again

(just bear in mind the dust will fall directly inside, not ideal!)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same here. Reading what has been said on other forums the problem is the new hub. The equipment is failing. I was been sent a new hub last week and still thew problem persists as well as rotten crackling on my phone line for over a week. I have lost connection at least 7 times in the last hour and kept waiting on a line that sounds like someone rubbing sandpaper in my eardrum! 

Unfortunately turning the hub upside down didn't work for me. NOW TV equipment always gets pretty warm.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Oh no!

We never got to the bottom of this, in the end we exited the contract and moved to BT - they have been so much more helpful, customer service is 10 times better in my opinion and our service has been fine since.

Sorry you’re having issues, I can only suggest trying a new provider as that worked for us in our case.

Thanks