cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV Boost - Not getting HD/50fps on all devices?

So I’ve had Now TV Boost for a few months now so I can get 50fps viewing and full HD on the Sky Sports channels. However I’ve only actually noticed the upgrade in stream quality/FPS when watching through my Now TV Smart Stick, not any other devices. For example, I sometimes watch through the Now TV Player on my PC, and the stream is definitely not full HD, nor am I getting the promised 50fps on the channels it supports. Same applies when watching on my iPad, or through Chromecast, etc. Feels like it’s still running at 720p on those devices.

My point is, I only seem to be benefiting from a service I am paying £3 a month for, when watching through my Smart Stick. That is the only device that I can clearly see the stream is running at 1080p / 50fps.

Is this normal behaviour? Anyone else noticed the same? I feel it’s not acceptable quite frankly, people that don’t watch through a Smart Stick, are literally being scammed, as the stream quality is no different to not having Now TV Boost!

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello I understand you completely unfortunately NowTV Boost isn't available on all the devices that are capable of showing NowTV Content. At moment even some of the devices that support boost are only doing 1080p and not 50 FPS. I have included a link it is all explained there.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-tv-boost  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Wow I’m surprised! That in simple terms, is ridiculous quite frankly. We live in a day and age when HD is pretty much default on every streaming service, yet Now TV are only offering it on certain devices, not to mention also charging a premium for it! I mean, what’s so hard about bringing HD to mobile devices, the Now TV TV player, etc?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Bit harsh there In fairness Netflix charge extra for HD as well it’s not just NowTV and they have had to put work into getting 1080p working

I believe the reason it is taking a while to rollout to various devices is due to fact they need revisions to apps to support Boost and they are rolling it out slowly Xbox one got last week and chrome cast not long before that.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User 

My guess is over time 1080p will be part of all passes and the "boost" will be similar to Netflix to offer 4K streaming as well as addtional streams. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008 

True indeed though I hope we both agree that all boost devices should have 50FPS Sport Support as well. I would hope that boost would over time be included in all passes but with two of the passes at present having very little HD content the Kids and no Content for the Hayu Pass it would seem unfair to implement it that way. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi all, I'm using a native Sony bravia app and it is 1080 and works with the 5 1 system I have but it can't be 50fps as its nowhere near as smooth as the BT sport app on the same TV  I dont mean buffering its just judders; like frames are being missed out. It can't be the broad

band otherwise I'd have the same issues on the BT sport app and netflix.

If its defo better on a stick I'll buy one I just done want to chuck good.money after bad. Anyone else had a similar experience?

redchiz1
Champion 2

I believe it is all about individual app support as mentioned earlier, there are even differences evident on iOS versus iPadOS. Frustrating, but there we go. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

I have a Sony Bravia Android and I’ve not had issues with it.

Try deleting the app and reinstall it. 

You could try unplug the TV and your router for a few minutes. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help