cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now Hub 2 Wifi Dropping

Hi since moving to now broadband from bt ive noticed that the wifi connection keeps dropping for a split second causing devices to drop connection. never had this with the bt home hub..

ive tried different channels turning the 5ghz off and only using 2.4ghz and still happens after about 1hr.

dont think its a signal problem as devices right next to the hub drop connection..

ive tried the live chat help but got no where with them they tried getting an engineer out because they say im below the min guarentee speed im 10MB over so no problems there.

then it was they dont guarantee wifi speed but thats not the problem.

its the wifi dropping like i can be listening to radio through the tab on wifi it will just stop and then i have to reconnect. plus i lose connection on my mobile at the same time..

its all reconnects without about 1 second so dont know whats happening  

25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Our experience is that the Now and Sky hubs are poorly designed physically

They are trying to replicate the physical look of Sky TV set-top-boxes

The antennas are pointing to the roof not into the property because they are flat lying routers - they dont stand upright like some others.

Since using Mesh WiFi (BT Whole Home WiFi) the issue of poor speeds and dropping has gone away.

Now/Sky hubs are the worst for Wifi. They are cheap as chips. 

Either invest in a Mesh Wifi system, or switch from Now/Sky. ISP routers are never the best, but there are better solutions and ISPs out there. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User So how about turning the Hub sideways so it doesn't point upwards? Would you recommend using a third party hub? I'd rather not use BT because they're too expensive.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I bought this from Amazon for £30 and use it for the WiFi connected to the
NOWTV router:

TP-Link Archer C50 AC1200
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User  not tried that to be honest 

I use seperate device(s) for WiFi so that I dont have to worry about differences in coverage every time I switch broadband. I just use the ISP router for the VDSL, then I dont have to worry about different WiFi coverages from different ISP routers. I also dont have to mess around switching SSIDs around

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

Thanks for your response but I'm a bit confused. What do you mean by "every time I switch broadband"? Do you use two broadband providers?

In layman's terms what is a VDSL and a SSID?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

SSID stands for Service Set Identifier

Actually just means the WiFi name in this case. When changing ISP some people ( me for ex ) when they receive their new router from their new ISP go into the settings and change the WiFi settings do the WiFi name and password are the same as the previous router avoiding resetting WiFi settings on the myriad WiFi devices operating in their home.

Alternatively some peeps have a WiFi router that they use which they plug into the lan ports on the router supplied by their ISP thus avoiding the necessity to change ssid or WiFi password on a router reach time they switch ISP.