cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShellB

Now Broadband fibre installation process

I am considering Now Broadband, currently with Virgin.

Is the hub sent and i just plug it in or will it need engineer installation?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ShellB 

Depends if you have an OpenReach connection in your property. Otherwise most likely you will need an engineer visit. All which will be sorted by NOW.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Jayach
Elite 3

In case you weren't aware, Now uses completely different technology to Virgin. Virgin have their own cables (and increasingly full fibre), Now uses the standard BT/Openreach telephone cables.

If you don't currently have a BT/Openreach telephone socket, one will need to be installed.

RoyB
Legend

@ShellB @Jayach @gavs82008 

Do I also recall that the procedure for migrating from Virgin differs from migrating from an ISP on Openreach;

with a current Openreach ISP,  it’s enough just to tell Now that you want to join and they take care of unhooking you from your previous provider;

but with Virgin you have to notify them that you are leaving, as well as notifying Now that you want to join?

You should also be aware, in case you aren’t already, that Now Fibre is just FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) and the line from there to your home is still copper; Now don’t offer FTTP (fibre to the property), so you may not get the speed and reliability you got with Virgin?

Not to dissuade you from switching, you understand; just to ensure that you are aware of the differences here.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
ShellB
Thanks for the info 👍🏻
Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB 

Makes a good point, if you don't have a BT/Openreach socket one will need to be installed. These connections are being phased out and FTTP (Full Fibre) connections replacing them.

If you are in a full fibre area, it would be best to go with an ISP who supports it.

More details here: What is full fibre broadband? - Uswitch