cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now Broadband/Virgin Media Telephone Line query

I currently have Virgin Media broadband only. I do have a VM telephone line but it is not in use by me anymore.  I am thinking of swapping to Now Broadband as I have a Now TV smart box. How well does Now Broadband  work using the VM telephone line and would I have to get VM to reactivate the line or is that done by Now Broadband on set up? I am also not sure which package to have it is just me in a ground floor flat with one TV and Laptop (I dont use my mobile for streaming) and a smart NowTV box but no outside aerial so just use it for catch-up TV at present = please help as totally clueless - thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Welcome to the forum. I assume you mean the BT line that comes into your home from the roadside telegraph pole, if so yes NOW TV should be able to activate that when you sign up to them. They should be aware of the status of the line when you sign up. In terms of which package it's up to you, but if you are the only one using the Internet you'll likely be ok with the cheaper ADSL option and that should be fast enough for NOW TV as long as they quote you about 2.5Mbps or above - although for HD watching of Netflix etc I'd rather see a speed around 5Mbps. 

Best thing to do is pop onto live chat and ask for a broadband advisor, they can answer any other questions you have about the process (for instance you need to cancel Virgin manually as NOW TV don't take care of that on your behalf) before you make your decision. You can get to live chat from the Contact Us page

https://help.nowtv.com/get-in-touch

(expand the Anything Else section at the bottom for options)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Welcome to the forum. I assume you mean the BT line that comes into your home from the roadside telegraph pole, if so yes NOW TV should be able to activate that when you sign up to them. They should be aware of the status of the line when you sign up. In terms of which package it's up to you, but if you are the only one using the Internet you'll likely be ok with the cheaper ADSL option and that should be fast enough for NOW TV as long as they quote you about 2.5Mbps or above - although for HD watching of Netflix etc I'd rather see a speed around 5Mbps. 

Best thing to do is pop onto live chat and ask for a broadband advisor, they can answer any other questions you have about the process (for instance you need to cancel Virgin manually as NOW TV don't take care of that on your behalf) before you make your decision. You can get to live chat from the Contact Us page

https://help.nowtv.com/get-in-touch

(expand the Anything Else section at the bottom for options)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Andy thanks for your answer but the phone line is a Virgin Fibre Optic  phone line I have never had a BT line installed here - will i need a BT line to come over from VM or can Now Broadband use the VM Fibre Optic one?

When I moved in here 13 years ago there was no telephone line or roof aerial so I had VM bundle package of Phone TV & BB. I have since downgraded to just BB to save money.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Ah right, yes in that case a BT line will need to be installed, NOW TV can't use the co-ax Virgin cable. Again NOW TV should be able to organise that but there may well be a charge. I'd definitely recommend you pop onto live chat and ask them about any charges etc and then you can see what you want to do - alternately if you want to give NOW TV a call let me know and I'll PM you a number (we've been asked not to post in on the forum). 

Good luck!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you Andy

I thought that might be the case i think BT charge at least £100 for installing one of their lines 😞

But I will chat to a Now BB guy to see if there are any deals etc 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

You did see the date on the posting you replied to? 😛🤦‍  

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Nope. I didn't and don't care what date was on post. 

The number was posted so other members can ring NOW if they have a problem. Instead of trolling through the Community to find what they require. 

So my answer to you is Chill!

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

If you had been here more than a day, or had done the smallest amount of research, then you would know that that number is only for broadband customers with broadband queries.

And NowTV don’t like it being generally published, because it just gets the broadband line overloaded with queries they have to spend time declining to answer, instead of helping broadband customers.

And we don’t send broadband customers trolling all over the Community; they all have access to the number, though they may not know that, so we tell them an easy way to find it, but one that only works for broadband customers.

And of course, it is a given that we Community Contributors are so cool that chilling any further might be hazardous to our health 😎😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.