cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mentor

Re: changing my home phone number?

Deb1. I have previously posted about this issue. Nowtv will not port your current number. Cancel your order and demand reinstatement of your number. If they don’t, raise a complaint.........................
0 Thanks
Highlighted
Mentor

Now eventually ported my parents number after hours chasing up spending on the phone. It took about a month. You just have to constantly harass them. The only positive aspect was that you get through pretty easily, pre-covid that is. They kept shifting the blame on to BT OpenReach. Persevere, do not give up. Best.

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Advocate

Interesting this seems to be an issue. I completed the 'joining' process only to find I cannot transfer my number from VM and attempted to find out why. At this point, I discovered there is no public number to contact them, their BOT is unattended, which means it acts as a search engine and cannot respond to specific questions.

Through this process I decided - why would I want to join a service where there is no service and the writing is on the wall of potential issues.

I have decided that whilst their offers are extremely competitive, you get what you pay for. Broadband is very subjective in the UK since folk have issues up and down the country and with all providers. Ofcom - I can assure everyone, is not a patch on the consumer laws that exist in Germany. Add that to the employment laws of the UK not being up to par with the rest of Europe and you conclude we did not embrace EU laws when we were in it!  Off on a tangent here, but consumer laws here are a joke of bare minimums.

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Observer

Re: Not willing to port my landline number

I fully sympathise with you. I am in exactly the same situation and currently writing to Ofcom.

I transferred not only my broadband and phone but that of an elderly relative who has many hospital appointments.I have had the same messages.

I suggest that you get in touch with bt 0 establish that your phone number is still available. Then phone nowtv and arrange them to cancel your account and set up another in your old phone number. I cannot guarantee that this will work as now tv said that the chance of my old number still being available was very small. I ask Would BT give my old number to a third person! - I think not it would surely breach GDPR.

The whole business is unacceptable but we should continue to hassle nowtv until THEY can accept a transfer ofa phone  number from another provider. In each case the provider i changed from was talk talk. I have now no phone number with Talk talk and a new number with nowtv -I NEED my old number back!! 

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Advocate

I had exactly the same problem in early 2020.  I cancelled a new subscription to SKY as they said they could not port my landline (which I have had for 32 years) but not realising the NOWTV was part of the same company and having ticked that I wanted to keep my landline and spoken to someone (as this was a make or break issue) and been assured I could keep my landline, I moved over to NOW TV and after a few weeks realised I was no longer getting calls and that my number was defunct.  I phoned and asked what was the problem and the person I spoke to said that my old number was gone and not retrievable. She could not give any account of why this was not very clearly stated in writing and by the operative I spoke to at the time I was contemplating the switch.  I consider this misselling.  

Added to which I now find the NOW TV service to be very poor - internet keeps dropping and poorer signal than my previous providers so all round nightmare

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Advocate

I have just experienced the same problem and have had my original landline since 1963.  It is tied to many medical details such as pacemaker monitor, etc.

They seem to have changed the online order process to not even include if you would like to keep your original or request a new number.  It simply states "great you can keep your number" or words to that effect and if you would like it directory or ex-directory.

I was fobbed off twice with the excuse that I did not request my original number to be ported, knowing full well there was no option not to have it ported!

I will be pursuing this until successful or decent compensation paid!!!

0 Thanks
Highlighted

My wife and I ordered a new NowTV Broadband service for my mother-in-law a week ago at what seemed like a good deal of £18 per month including unlimited calls for the 1st 12 months and a £70 cashback offer from the TopCashback website. We were switching from TalkTalk as they had put up their prices significantly at the end of her current contract and they wouldn't offer her a deal as competitive as the NowTV offer (as a pensioner she has a very low income so we try to save her money wherever possible).

My mother-in-law has dementia so I specifically ticked the box to keep her existing TalkTalk number, which she has held for many years and which all her family, friends, doctors and carers use - we did not want to change this for obvious reasons!

Two days after placing the order we emailed NowTV a copy of our Power of Attorney documents so that we could manage her account on her behalf.

Four days after placing the order we received an email confirming the go-live date but stating the service would be issued with a new number - good job I read the email carefully - many people would easily miss this and not realise they had a new number until after the service had gone live.

I immediately called NowTV (after hunting for ages to find a number to ring them - as no number is given in any of their emails or the website). They said they couldn't talk to me as they had not yet processed the Power of Attorney form we'd sent. They asked us to try again in 1-2 days. I left it 3 days to give them ample time, but when I called them earlier today they still had not processed the Power of Attorney form so still could not speak to me! They said they would expedite it and asked me to call back tomorrow. However, within an hour my wife received a text saying the form had now been processed so we could discuss my mother-in-law's account over the phone. This was already raising suspicion NowTV's customer service is terrible...

Anyway, I called them again and this time got through to a customer representative who said that there was a "temporary problem" (this thread is well over a year old - so that's a lie) with their online ordering system, caused by BT OpenReach, and that the only way to keep the old number is for NowTV to cancel the original order and place a new order over the phone.

I explained this would mean my mother-in-law would lose out on the £70 new customer cashback offer from the Topcashback site. The agent said there was nothing she could do about 3rd party cashback sites.

This smells very fishy to me! I think NowTV are enticing customers with cheap deals and cashback offers and telling them they can keep their number, but because they have to pay BT OpenReach to port the numbers and perhaps switch some cables over at the exchange, they are deliberately issuing new phone numbers in the hope most customers will just accept it (and if customers don't spot this in the confirmation email, by the time the switch is made, it will be too late to do anything about it).  If this is what is actually happening it would amount to a deliberate deception and obviously violates trading standards rules.  

Anyway I told NowTV to just cancel the order as I cannot run the risk of losing her number. As it happens TalkTalk had written to my mother after the switch process started offering a similar deal to the NowTV one if my mother-in-law stayed with them (why couldn't TalkTalk just have offered that in the first place and saved us all this hassle? There's no reward for customer loyalty in this business. Anyway that's a different topic).

It seems far too many people are having a similar experience with NowTV and this needs reporting to OFCOM / Watchdog as it sounds like a scam to me.

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Advocate

I’ve just signed up for nowtv and at the very last minute I was told I couldn’t keep my old phone number.  I’m on the last stage, having not yet agreed to payment, and have decided against having anything to do with them. There seems to be a lot of unsatisfied customers having the same problem 

0 Thanks