cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mentor

Re: Not willing to port my landline number

it just keeps getting worse...………….

after agreeing termination of the service on 18/11. I received an email advising termination tomorrow! on calling them, they have cancelled the termination but I now have to call tomorrow to re-request cancellation of the agreement...……….

clearly, this forum is not monitored by the company: I have apparently been promoted to 'advocate' for my postings! this appears to be highly defective organisation with only automated processes which cannot manage any problems...…………………...

Highlighted
Advocate

I will be moving house mid-January and did not think that porting my phone number would be a problem - OFCOM certainly don't think it should be.  I have already asked in December and been told that it can't be done but thought it was a mistake. However, reading the comments on this forum has made me rethink my plans; I now intend to cancel my Now-TV service and sign with another supplier, all of whom seem happy to port my number. If anybody knows that Now-TV have changed their procedures PLEASE let me know so I can look further into the matter.

0 Thanks
Highlighted

Sadly I am having the same issue. NOWTV not ported my number which I have had for 45 years. I feel like I have reached the end of the road now. My daughter has made a complaint on my behalf and was told I will get a response within 56 DAYS. I am flabbergasted and feel very let down. I would not recommend NOWTV to anyone.

0 Thanks
Highlighted

I too have this problem. A number we have had since 1964.

What have you done since your message ?

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Advocate

I moved to Virgin but would you believe it, they lost my number. Took 19
days for them to find & reinstate it. OFCOM say all providers must offer to
port but it seems like they all ignore it.
0 Thanks
Highlighted
Mentor

I am in a similar situation ; Raised a web-order to transfer from talktalk to Now and know for sure that I ticked the box to keep my old number. 

Found out the day after changeover from a relative that they couldn't contact us - had to phone them and get them to phone back to tell us what our number was! 

Now not only failed to port our number, but didn't gave us notification before, during, or after changeover of the actual changed number.   We've had our original number for 30+ years, and it ported over OK when we changed from Virgin to Talktalk - despite needing a change of line from cable! 

I have contacted BT Openreach, who tell me that a remedy is simple - Now should raise a Number Port order directly with Openreach, who will reclaim and transfer my old number - however Now c/s tell me that they do not subscribe to Opnreach's number port service. 

They even have the temerity to suggest that (1) I didn't submit a retention request on my order, and (2) they have no responsibility for insuring web-orders are processed correctly. 

There appears to multiple incidents of flouting Ofcom regulations, and distance-selling requirements here.  

Ironically I left Talktalk because of appalling customer service! 

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Mentor

I would be interested to know how your move went.  

For anyone moving they may be interested to have this clarification ; It is generally possible to move (or 'port') your existing number if you change service provider but do not move away from your local exchange area. 

If you move to a new address which is attached to a different exchange it is generally not possible to retain your old number, even if you stay with the same provider.  In some cases even moving one street away (or even across the street / road) would change your connection exchange. 

The numbers are 'owned' (in the UK) by BT-Openreach, not the subscriber or the service provider.  Openreach allocate blocks of numbers to service providers for allocation to new connections, but when the correct paperwork / procedures are followed a number may be transferred by them between providers.

(e.g. my 'lost' number was originally allocated by Openreach, as part of a block, to Virgin ; It was 'ported' over, on my behalf, when I switched to Talktalk - Now failed to action a port for me when I switched to them last week, and gave me a number from a block allocated to Sky!   Openreach tell me that they could reallocate the number if asked - but I cannot action this as I am not a Service Provider, and Now refuse to do so.) 

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Mentor

Hi Sdlonyer

Wrt messages, I referred my complaint to the ombudsman (cedr-modria) who rejected it on the basis that I couldn’t prove that I selected porting in my order: they refused to consider the evidence from this forum............................

The only way forward that I can see is to find a solicitor who would take a group action on a no win no fee basis.........................
0 Thanks
Highlighted
Mentor

Thanks for reply ; Ringing my old number showed that it was still not connected to anyone, and Now closed down my open help case. 

After a lengthy chat with Talktalk sales team, they agreed that if I went back to them they would be able to reinstate our original number ; I cancelled the Now order under the distance-selling 'window', and am scheduled to return to TT on 28/04 - hopefully with our original number. 

After this I was contacted by a senior person in the Now c/s dept. (I had attempted to get some action by e-mailing the CEO of Sky group) - we had an amiable discussion, and I was able to point out the large number of disgruntled posts on both this and MSE forums regarding lost numbers after raising web-orders ; they agreed to look into this for both their own and future customers' benefit. 

0 Thanks
Highlighted

Re: changing my home phone number?

I am due to start with NOW on 5 may 2020 however have just seen the message about my new phone number?  Has anyone else had this problem and, if so how did you resolve it?  Many thanks, deb1

0 Thanks