cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Leaa
Advocate

Not knowing landline number

Heya! I just moved into a new place and I'm trying to set a broadband for myself. There is a landline without a phone in the flat. The landlord is a complete dork and doesn't know the landline number. I spoke with the previous tenant and he doesn't know either he just told me a number of his previous account that is now closed which I'm not sure can help? So I don't really know what to do as when I'm trying to place an order it will ask me for my landline number or that they will come and set up a new one which I don't think is necessary??

14 REPLIES 14
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Leaa 

It's been a couple of years since I signed up to NOW Broadband online, but would have thought when going through the order process there would be an option for a new telephone number if you don't know it.

With regards to a new telephone line I would assume the BT Openreach checker software that NOW use would identify if a home visit Engineer is required or not.

Perhaps if you are a little hesitant to go through the online process or can't progress any further because it asks for a telephone number with no other options, then phone the NOW Broadband Team using the telephone number on this link page below.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1 

redchiz1
Champion 2

A landline number won't be much help unless there is currently a live service on it i.e. there won't be one if the previous tenant closed the account. So just go ahead and order as a new installation. 

JohnnyMo
Mentor

With number portability the line maybe unconnected. Whoever was the last tenant to use it probably transferred the number when they left. 

Jayach
Elite 3

@JohnnyMo wrote:

With number portability the line maybe unconnected. Whoever was the last tenant to use it probably transferred the number when they left. 

I'd say possibly, rather than probably, but either way, just order as a new number.

RoyB
Legend

@Leaa 

If it has a dial tone, ring your mobile from it.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
chilli2
Elite

As above, just plug a phone into the socket and see what happens

redchiz1
Champion 2

@RoyB @chilli2 

You won't get a dialling tone unless there is a live service, will you? 

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 

Possibly the reason I said ‘If’?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
chilli2
Elite

Obvouisly not, however if you plug a phone in you will find out if the line is live or not , and judging by the opening post there is a chance it could be live .

If it is not live then it should be a case of signing up with an address only.