cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Nokia Beacon

Hello!

Does anyone know if it's possible to use the Now TV Broadband Hub as purely a modem and instead use my Nokia Beacon Mesh WiFi router system? 

Thank you 

5 REPLIES 5
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

There is no modem-only mode on the NowTV router.

It has been suggested that it would be enough to turn off DHCP on the Now router.

I have had a look at your Beacon thingy, though, and it sounds incredibly picky, and proprietary, about what it will and won’t work with, so you might want to ask this question of Nokia also.

Researching a different query on this Community, I was looking at Tenda Mesh systems, and it looks like these might extend the WiFi reach of the Now router; the base device connects to the router by Ethernet, so all you would have to do with the Now router is maybe turn its WiFi off. And maybe not even that, if the WiFi on the router augmented, rather than clashed with, the Mesh WiFi.

So this might be a straightforward solution to the execrable WiFi performance of the Now routers; but alas, the OP in the other thread seems to have ceased posting, so I can’t ask them to try it 😢

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

That's very helpful, thank you!

I actually just made a follow up post to this post but to briefly summarise here.

Will turning off the DHCP setting stop the Now hub from assigning IP addresses to my devices? 

Because currently I have turned the WiFi off the Now TV hub and am using the Nokia beacon for WiFi however this is causing issues with devices such as my Xbox as it is telling me that it is being assigned multiple IP addresses, I'm assuming both the Now Hub and Nokia beacon are assigning it different addresses.

Thanks in advance for your help 🙂

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Yes, that is exactly what DHCP means:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol

And even though wifi is off on the Now router, it is still seeing these devices via the Nokia Beacon, and thus feels impelled to assign them IP addresses.

So as I said (but without explaining why 😢) turn off DHCP on the Now router, and the Nokia Beacon will become the sole device assigning IP addresses, which is what you want, to avoid such IP address clashes and double assignments.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ah, my mistake.

Upon turning off DHCP, the Nokia beacon no longer receives internet. I have tried assigning the Nokia Beacon a permanent reserved IP address but the same issue still occurs, the Nokia beacon gives out a wifi signal but there is no internet access attached to the wifi signal.

So for now, I believe I will just be sticking with the NowTv hub as my router unless you believe there are any other remedies for me to try?

Thanks again 🙂

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I have no idea why that is happening 😢

But as the Now router seems perfectly able to see your devices ‘through’ the Nokia Beacon, perhaps try turning off DHCP on the Beacon, and back on again on the Now router, and see how that goes?