cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

No internet on desktop

I have tried  setting up my NOW broadband we get Internet on the phone but nothing on the desktop any suggestions please?

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous User
Not applicable

We will need a bit more info. Firstly what lights on lit on the router? How is the Desktop (I assume it's a PC) connected, wired or wireless? Any error messages?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a problem to get Internet on my desktop. The computer can see a router but after I put a password there is a continuos request to verify passwords or coding keys. The same problem occurs when I try to connect via a cable. The computer: HP compact elite 8300 ultraslim dessktop, the operating system on this computer is Linux. There is no problem with other devices, like Ipad, laptop, mobile.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

As the problem seems to be confined to the computer, it doesn’t seem to be your broadband in general.

Your best bet then, perhaps, is to get in touch with HP, or with whoever sold you the computer, if that was a technically capable outfit.

Or maybe here:-

https://linuxforums.org.uk/

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

If you are being requested a password on Ethernet, something very basic is wrong. Being Linux I suspect it may be a missing driver. Did you install the Linux yourself? Have you used the device on a network before? Which "flavour" of Linux is it?

If you have just installed it I would suggest trying another distro such as Mint as that usually is pretty compatible with most hardware's.

As @RoyB says a Linux forum would be the best place for support.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is there a good reason to be using Linux on it? If it originally had Windows 7 on it, and it has a CoA sticker, you should be able to use that product key to install Windows 10.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User 

That answer leaves me speechless, as it is both wrong and right on so many levels 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB I take it your not a Windows fan. 😉

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Oh, it’s a lot more complicated than that 😛

I’m not normally a fan of recommending to people with a possibly minor Linux problem that they should switch their entire OS, and probably every application they have, probably free, to a larger, slower and more expensive platform.

OTOH, I am far from a Linux proselytiser, especially for the tyro who just wants their computer to work without ever poking about under the software hood, who will find the Windows world much more accessible and straightforward.

So the advice to be given to @Anonymous User depends on how come they have a Linux computer in the first place, and how the Linux got on there, how much tech support they can do for themselves, how much tech support they have easy and cheap access to, and so on.

If you can work it, Linux is better and cheaper and faster. If you can’t, it’s a nightmare from which escape seems impossible, where all the apps aren’t quite like the Windows ones, not very polished and a bit rough and ready, and are dripping with so many options they can do everything, except perhaps what you want them to.

If computers were cars, then Windows would be for drivers who just want to get from A to B, and Linux for mechanics who are interested in what every last nut and sprocket does 😛 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB wrote:

So the advice to be given to @Anonymous User depends on how come they have a Linux computer in the first place, and how the Linux got on there, how much tech support they can do for themselves, how much tech support they have easy and cheap access to, and so on.

It does indeed, perhaps they will let us know. 😄