cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

No connection on NowTV Hub 2 ethernet ports - DHCP not working?

I just got started with NowTV, and have a Hub 2. It all works fine, connecting via wifi directly to the hub.

However, I'd like to connect my own wifi router, which normally works just by connecting via ethernet to the broadband router (and hence double-natted).

In this case the NowTV Hub 2 is not handing out IP addresses - its as if something is wrong with its DHCP server. I also tried turning off IPv6 in the Advanced -> LAN IP Setup menu, in case that was confusing things.

I've also tried calling tech support, and they say there aren't really even familiar with the Hub 2, let alone terms like LAN and DHCP.

Any ideas here?

13 REPLIES 13
David5
Advocate

It is PC direct to hub, Hub responds with 0 Bytes of data on a request for an IP address (my laptop same issue).

One of 2 things fixes it, if I unplug the phone it forces the hub into some diagonostics mode and immediatly my windows machine will get an IP address and auto launches a diag screen.

Or I have to switch my PC on, then power cycle the hub every time. Nothing else solves this problem.

redchiz1
Champion 2

OK, there may be something wrong with your internal wiring, or filtering. Are you using extension sockets? 

David5
Advocate

the wifi works perfectly, so its not a phone socket issue or filter, but to answer the question it is plugged directly into the master socket, and there are no other actual phones pluged in anywhere else (I never use the phone line)

The internet works perfectly after the power cycle, however if I reboot the PC for whatever reason, when it starts back up it will have exactly the same problem, no IP address from the hub and I have to power cycle it again.

so we have Windows 10 PC >>> Ethernet >>> Hub >>> Master Phone Socket

It isnt the cables, because my laptop also does the same thing, the 2 ethernet ports on the hub go dead and refuse to assign an IP address using DHCP.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@David5 wrote:

I have only thing that works is a power cycle each time, the DCHP server goes dead on the router and refuses to reply to requests for an IP address, and tech support just said all is fine according to our end so tuff titty. And they wouldnt allow me to throw the router in the garbage and buy one.

Have you actually tried a full factory reset?

It seems unlikely the DHCP server would keep stopping as its just one function of the routers firmware, and whilst it could "die" once (I've had it happen myself) it shouldn't keep doing it.

They can't stop you using your own router, lots of people on Now and Sky do it, just make sure you get one with SKY_MER as one of the connection options.

In fact, if you have access to an old Sky router, you could try using that, and if it doesn't have the same problems then it must be the router.