cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New line installation

I am looking to get NOW broadband in a flat that I have recently moved in to. When purchasing it says I need an engineer to install a new line, when I rung up it seemed that the work would only need to be on the inside of the flat and not involve any drilling etc. As FTTP isn't available in my area I think that this means that there would be no drilling involved, because as I understand it FTTC just uses the usual telephone connection. My questions are is this correct that no drilling will be needed (this is important as I am renting so would need to be sure of this before proceeding), and also why would the telephone connection need replacing? Presumably it worked for the previous tenant so why can I not just plug a new router in? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
chilli2
Elite

Is there a working phone socket in the flat?

does it have a dial tone?

what type of socket is there?

Generally if the mastersocket, thats the main socket is upto date then the engineer visit will be at the street cabinet to hook your line up and then in the property to check its all working ok.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
chilli2
Elite

Is there a working phone socket in the flat?

does it have a dial tone?

what type of socket is there?

Generally if the mastersocket, thats the main socket is upto date then the engineer visit will be at the street cabinet to hook your line up and then in the property to check its all working ok.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for both your replies, I have since been told that an engineer visit is not needed at all, despite it saying one would be needed to install a new line and me having to book an engineer, seems a bit of a strange system and leads to unnecessary conversations with landlords getting permission for work that doesn't need doing. It also still says an engineer is booked on my online account, all seems like the system could be set up a bit better. Thanks again for both your help. 

Jayach
Elite 3

As @chilli2 says, if you have a working BT/Openreach phone line in the flat, no internal access should be required.

Sometimes the engineer likes to do an end-to-end test, but that is very unusual lately. They seem to be less conscientious now the copper is being discontinued.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for both your replies, I have since been told that an engineer visit is not needed at all, despite it saying one would be needed to install a new line and me having to book an engineer, seems a bit of a strange system and leads to unnecessary conversations with landlords getting permission for work that doesn't need doing. It also still says an engineer is booked on my online account, all seems like the system could be set up a bit better. Thanks again for both your help.