cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New Router

Firstly, why is it so hard to get in touch with customer service. No number, chat doesn't put me through to anyone, and the help advice just loops over and over. Has really annoyed me.

To the point, I do rave about NOWTV normally, but recently things haven't been going so well. Our internet is not great, upstairs getting less than 6MB download speed. We have moved our router and tried all the advice on their site, but no improvement. Their line test shows we are getting our guarantee or more, but not to our devices. PC, laptops, phones, TV... all slow and frequent buffering issues.

At this point, i think maybe we just need a new router, but I cannot find how to get one. Can somebody please help me understand how I can request a replacement router?

Thank you.

14 REPLIES 14
RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 

I had a router that would dynamically shift to the clearest channel, and I would expect any decent router to do that.

As regards splitting the SSIDs, I had a router that would not let devices on 2.4Ghz talk to those on 5Ghz and vice versa, unless they had the same SSID. That was dumb, and maybe later routers fixed it, though.

But basically, there is a blob emanating from the router (whatever the word is for a ‘sphere’ that isn’t spherical) of 5Ghz coverage, and a larger blob of 2.4Ghz coverage. And all that splitting the SSIDs does is to make them manifest.

Maybe devices that have plumped for 2.4 within the 5 blob can be moved to 5 and go faster. And maybe devices that have plumped for 5 on the ragged, probably moving, edge of the 5 blob can be moved to 2.4 for a more stable signal.

But both of these are things that a good device and a good router should be able to negotiate for themselves.

Unless you know any other upsides of splitting the bands?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

@RoyB They all do that on auto, allegedly, but that is not always the best solution, especially if you are in an area congested by many other competing wireless devices.

Splitting the SSIDs gives your more advanced devices the opportunity to stick to the 5GHz channels which are far less prone to interference and prevents hunting across bands. But as you say not transmissible as far as 2.4GHz.

Most people expect things to "just work," sadly neither ISPs, nor router manufactures take account of the many variables when they boast about their stuff.  Tweaking is quite easy with a few basic tips. 

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 

Yes, I keep meaning to tweak things so that the WiFi speed I get in the bedroom is more than just a third of the speed I get in the lounge.

But when that bedroom speed of 82Mbps is more than three times what I got anywhere on FTTC, and the upload speed still better than half of that, the incentive to go digging is rather lacking 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

@RoyB 

OK, but try to remember those of us who have not got full fibre, including all the NOW broadband customers who post here.  😕

Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB wrote:

@redchiz1 

Yes, I keep meaning to tweak things so that the WiFi speed I get in the bedroom is more than just a third of the speed I get in the lounge.

But when that bedroom speed of 82Mbps is more than three times what I got anywhere on FTTC, and the upload speed still better than half of that, the incentive to go digging is rather lacking 😛

To paraphrase; "Sod you I'm alright Jack!" 😉