cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New Router

Firstly, why is it so hard to get in touch with customer service. No number, chat doesn't put me through to anyone, and the help advice just loops over and over. Has really annoyed me.

To the point, I do rave about NOWTV normally, but recently things haven't been going so well. Our internet is not great, upstairs getting less than 6MB download speed. We have moved our router and tried all the advice on their site, but no improvement. Their line test shows we are getting our guarantee or more, but not to our devices. PC, laptops, phones, TV... all slow and frequent buffering issues.

At this point, i think maybe we just need a new router, but I cannot find how to get one. Can somebody please help me understand how I can request a replacement router?

Thank you.

14 REPLIES 14
redchiz1
Champion 2

You can contact the broadband support team by calling 0330 041 2518.

Jayach
Elite 3

There is also a number here: How to make a complaint (nowtv.com)

Not sure if it goes to the same team as the number @redchiz1 gave.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

To test your speeds, bring your laptop really close to the Now router, and measure the WiFi speed. Then turn off the WiFi on the laptop, connect it to the router, and see what speed you get then.

Let us know these two numbers plus the guaranteed speed you were quoted, and we can make a better judgement.

Unless they differ significantly, though, your Now router probably isn’t faulty, so a replacement may not show any improvement. 

Wifi does fall away according to distance from the router, 5Ghz more steeply than 2.4Ghz, and the Now router is notorious for its poor WiFi range anyway.

Some people get improved results by splitting the two bands, choosing 5Ghz for short-range speed and 2.4Mhz for distance range, but it’s still a bit ‘lipstick on a pig’.

You could get a third party router, but make sure it’s compatible with the MER61 standard that Sky and Now use.

Or - and this would be my chosen option - get a pair of WiFi enabled PLAs - PowerLine adaptors - and set the sender adaptor up at the router end, and the receiver/WiFi adaptor in a mains socket upstairs.

Here’s the current model which replaces the one I successfully used to WiFi enable a garden office:-

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/tplink-wpa4220-wifi-powerline-adapter-kit-av600-twin-pack-10153178.html

Other retailers are available, of course….

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
chilli2
Elite

Another option is to put the now router in its correct place - the box from where it came and use your own router

RoyB
Legend

@chilli2 

LOL. But you forgot to mention the crusher at his/her local recycling centre 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
chilli2
Elite

Most ISPs supply poor quality routers, I've dealt with Sky, talk talk and plusnet kit as well as now, WiFi issues and more have all been solved with a better aftermarket bit of kit.

As for the ISP router, you should always keep it , some ISPs ask for it back (never understood that as they are invariably shyte) and sometimes if you have a line fault you may need to plug the ISP router in so your ISP can do a few checks/ trouble shooting

redchiz1
Champion 2

Most ISPs supply perfectly adequate routers, it is just that the default settings out of the box are far from ideal for all. With a bit of advice, research, knowledge and tweaking, especially on the wireless side, many home users can find improvements in performance. Pointing people to third-party routers is often an unnecessary added cost. 

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 

We wait with bated breath for your list of optimisations for the Now router 😛

redchiz1
Champion 2

@RoyB Oh come on, splitting the SSIDs and checking for wireless interference with a view to setting fixed channels are basic starting points.