cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New Customer - Broadband Router won’t connect to google related devices.

Hi,

im a new customer since Tuesday and it’s fair to say I’ve had a bad experience so far with transfer of services from previous supplier to Now but thank you to Now for resolving this for me. However we still have an issue with our broadband router which has internet access on laptops and iPhones but will not connect to anything google related, google nest, home hub, chromecast, or netbooks. We also have issues with it connecting to sky q box and mini box? Any ideas? We have today received a second router box which still won’t connect to these devices but works on laptops etc.

thanks 

4 REPLIES 4
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Bit of a long shot, but perhaps try these adjustments on your NowTV Hub 2 Router.

Your Hub Two is dual-band (2.4GHz and 5 GHz). Splitting these bands to create 2 different Wi-Fi networks can help to improve the speed to your devices. Here’s how to do it:

1. Open your web browser and enter "192.168.0.1” in the address bar.
  2. Select Maintenance and enter “admin” and “nowtv” as the username and password.
  3. Select Wireless and then 2.4 GHz Wireless Settings
  4. Scroll down to “Wireless Access Point” and uncheck Synchronise 2.4GHz and 5GHz Settings.
  5. In the ‘Name (SSID)’ box, Change the network name to distinguish it from the current network (e.g. add “_2.4G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  6. Check the network name has been updated, and then select 5GHz Wireless Settings.
  7. To be able to see easily which network is which on your devices, change the ‘Name (SSID)’ here too (e.g. add “_5G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  8. That’s it. Select Logout at the top of the screen to exit.

In my setup 2.4GHz wifi works better for me in my Home environment than 5GHz, where i have set all my devices  for 2.4GHz.

Also a few Android mobile phone users have reported no wifi connection or random wifi drop outs on their phones using the NowTV Hub 2 Router, where i was experiencing loss of wifi connection on my Chromecast devices (until i altered my Hub 2 settings by following the be!ow instructions).

Where you could try accessing the Hub 2 Router webpage settings (following steps 1 & 2 above and instead of selecting the Maintenance Tab, select the Advanced Tab), then select the LAN IP Setup tab below it, then disable the IPV 6 on Lan side by unticking the box and clicking the green Apply Button towards the bottom of the screen.

The disable of the IPV6 over Lan seemed to help people who have reported wifi random dropouts on their Android phone using the NowTV Hub 2.

Even though you are encountering lack of Network connection over wifi on your devices it might be worth a try.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps thanks tried all this still no luck. 

Now have advised to remove all security security for the router but that doesn’t work at all. I think the now router hub may be incompatible with google products with the latest updates. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

My Home Networking knowledge is limited to be honest so i don't think i can offer much more further advice apart from if you was a previous Sky Broadband customer, then try the Sky Router instead of the NowTV Hub.

Also i am guessing you tried pressing in the WPS button on the front of the NowTV Hub to see if it can discover your WiFi devices that won't connect and if you are using multiple wifi devices, try temporary reducing the number of wifi devices with the Hub Router.

Hopefully somebody with more Networking knowledge on here will come to your rescue.

BTW - i use three Chromecasts with my NowTV Hub 2 Router and all three connect fine over WiFi since i disabled IPV6 and separated the 2.4 & 5Ghz wifi bands on the Hub Router.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I did a quick search on the NowTV Community Forum and found this thread about connecting a Google Home Mini with the NowTV Hub Router.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Mobile/Does-Google-Home-Mini-work-with-NowTV-router/m-p/450386 

Don't know if this helps ?