cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lovebuguk
Scholar

NOW TV Boost?

umm this boost has me puzzled some what heres why  most content on now tv is 720p and 720p is hd and on my tv the picture is great and its a 55inch tv so would worth getting boost 1080p for hd when you already getting hd with 720p.  plus would syfy channel go to syfyhd has the syfy channel is to only one were pic is standard def for me and not a patch on the sky ones.

6 REPLIES 6
Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@lovebuguk If you’re using a supported device (NowTV stick/box (not the white box), Roku stick or Youview box then Boost is defiantly worth it. For one thing, the program source is in 1080HD, so you’re not relying on the tv’s ability to upscale from 720 to 1080. You can tell which channels are in 1080 because they have HD added to their names when watching with boost on an applicable device. Also, boost gives you three streams instead of two. 

If you can get a trial, give it a try. Or, you could just pay your £3 for a month, and cancel if you can’t see any improvement.

lovebuguk
Scholar

ok just got 7 day trial tried syfy channel very happy indeed this is on my nowtv box but not getting the hd boost on my lgb9 oled for some reason any  one know why my tv supports it just not the 50hz .

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@lovebuguk Boost isn’t available on all devices, so probably your LG tv is one that doesn’t support boost at the moment.

This is the list of supported devices from the faq:

• NOW TV Smart Stick
  • Any NOW TV Box except the white box
  • Roku Express or Roku Streaming Stick
  • A supported Samsung TV
  • PS4
  • YouView (including TalkTalk & BT boxes)
  • LG Web OS TV (50fps not currently available).
lovebuguk
Scholar

got it sorted now just logged out and logged back in running great now )).

RoyB
Legend

And don’t forget that Boost also gives you 5.1 surround sound, if you can take advantage of that.

720p may be HD, but it is what used to be called HD Ready; 1280 by 720, 921600 pixels, while HD 1080p is 1920 by 1080, 2073600 pixels; so more than twice as many, not just the 50% that 1080 versus 720 appears to be.

And as most of us have 4K sets now, 8294400 pixels; so from 720p, your set has to scale up 8-fold, but from 1080p ‘only’ 4 times.

So more difference than you might think.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RoyB
Legend

[ Duplicated by a system fart. Deleted accordingly]

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.