cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NOW Hub

I have another hub embedded (stuck) to the wall and I do not know how to remove it to locate my hub. I also can not find the socket where I can plug in my wire on the wall.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB wrote:

@Anonymous User 

You said:

As @RoyB says, if it is an FTTP ONT, possibly Openreach or one of the other suppliers, such as CityFibre, you really don't want Now broadband.

In fairness, I think my reply was a little more nuanced than that 😛

True, I was paraphrasing and telling it like it is. 😉

Strange @Anonymous User hasn't come back with more info.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
redchiz1
Champion 2

I doubt it will be "stuck," perhaps you can lift it upwards and find that it is mounted on a couple of screws? Who was your previous supplier and is this their equipment?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

I have another hub embedded (stuck) to the wall and I do not know how to remove it to locate my hub. I also can not find the socket where I can plug in my wire on the wall.

If you really do have another hub, the Now hub will plug into the same place as the current one does.

Unless you currently have an FTTP connection, which I am suspecting you may have.

Are you new to the property?

chilli2
Elite

What does the "hub" thats stuck to the wall look like?

Do not do anything until you know what it is - is it an openerach ONT /ONT with  BBU ?

RoyB
Legend

@chilli2

Even I don’t know what that means 😢

@chilli2 @Anonymous User @Anonymous User 

Though I get, and @Anonymous User should get, the “don’t touch” bit.

An important question here, though, is what are the circumstances here?

If you are having Now Broadband installed, @Anonymous User, then BT Openreach will need to attend and fit a Master Socket, or show you where it is.

If the box on the wall is part of an existing FTTP (Fibre To The Property) installation, which it may well be, then Now Broadband doesn’t offer FTTP, and you may have some difficulty getting an old copper line installed; and you might want to look at a supplier who can offer FTTP - which can run up to 10 times faster than even ‘Super Fibre’, and will come with a router whose WiFi range is a bit further than you can throw an anvil.

So can you please tell us the circumstances you are in that are making you wonder about the box on the wall?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

It is the hub of the previous provider.

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User can you take a photo and post it here for the more knowledgeable to identify.

If you are new to the community you may not be able to embed images to your comment (the little picture icon above the text box) but can have them linked to an external hosting site (the little chain link icon above the comment section).

Screenshot_20220302-123118__01__01__01.jpg

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

It is the hub of the previous provider.

If you can't post a picture, does it have any signage on it to identify what it is?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

As @RoyB says, if it is an FTTP ONT, possibly Openreach or one of the other suppliers, such as CityFibre, you really don't want Now broadband.

chilli2
Elite

AS before a photo will help

this is a link to a google image search on a BBU https://www.google.com/search?q=openreach+ONT&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUK...

Until you know what it is, dont do anything to it

As for what you can get....

I'm in an FTTP area, yet i signed to Now, the reason is that copper (FTTC) meets my needs and is competitively priced - why pay more for speed I don't need?

Fibre as in fibre to the premises (FTTP) is the future and at some point we will all be heading that way like it or not, but for now why pay more?

There are a few other issues at play as well that may determine what you can get.

Some areas are FTTP only , some are on a transition stage where you can no longer order new copper (FTTC VDSL or ADSL) connections but if you already have it you can still use the older copper network.

Some new builds have exclusive network monopoly arrangements with the likes of persimon homes and their Fibre nest service and some areas on virgin media as the only choice.

In theory when you sign up to a service you should be notified if the address isnt able to get a service with that service provider but things dont always work out that way.

So if you can lets see what this box looks like