cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaulCFord
Mentor

My WiFi range is very poor.

I want to extend my wireless network and I would prefer to place any extenders where I want them to be and not near to a plug socket. Therefore I am looking for POE solutions to my problem as I can run ethernet cable from my NOW TV router easily enough. Can anyone out there help please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

@PaulCFord 

Now seem to have relaxed their rules about third-party routers lately, but besides POE, you would be looking for one that supports MER61, and there might not be many, if any, in the intersection of those two requirements.

So given that most POE devices come with power injectors, that go at the router end where mains is, if you can’t find a router that does both MER61 and POE, settle for one that does MER61, and use an injector that should come with whatever you buy for the other end of the Ethernet cable. Which will either be part of a mesh system, or a WiFi repeater that bathes the router’s dead spot in its own WiFi signal.

I don’t have quite the issue you have, but for my garden office, I got a pair of PLAs working over the mains spur from the house to the garden room, where the remote one was also a WiFi repeater, the signal from which covered the garden room although it was too far away to be in range of the router, which was necessarily in the house.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
RoyB
Legend

@PaulCFord 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=power+over+ethernet+devices+uk&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb

I don’t think the Now router does POE, but these devices seem to come with a power injector to cover this.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
PaulCFord
Mentor

Hello thanks for your answer. I was considering getting a better router too as the NOW TV router is very basic. I guess I could look for a router that supports POE?

So now my problem is still the poor WiFi range/signal. If I had a router capable of delivering POE and wired ethernet from the router to a dead spot, what could I plug the other end of the ethernet cable from the router into?

RoyB
Legend

@PaulCFord 

Now seem to have relaxed their rules about third-party routers lately, but besides POE, you would be looking for one that supports MER61, and there might not be many, if any, in the intersection of those two requirements.

So given that most POE devices come with power injectors, that go at the router end where mains is, if you can’t find a router that does both MER61 and POE, settle for one that does MER61, and use an injector that should come with whatever you buy for the other end of the Ethernet cable. Which will either be part of a mesh system, or a WiFi repeater that bathes the router’s dead spot in its own WiFi signal.

I don’t have quite the issue you have, but for my garden office, I got a pair of PLAs working over the mains spur from the house to the garden room, where the remote one was also a WiFi repeater, the signal from which covered the garden room although it was too far away to be in range of the router, which was necessarily in the house.

PaulCFord
Mentor

Many thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is the worst Wi-Fi I have ever had

we live in a bungalow and it won’t 

work in any of the bedrooms,

we have security cameras on the outside 

of our bungalow that work on Wi-Fi 

NOT ANYMORE 

the service is the worst I have ever encountered,

DO NOT SIGN UP WITH NOWTV

THEY ARE PURE RUBBISH 

chilli2
Elite

I posted this on another thread on here, it may be of use:

Since the early days of Broadband and trying to deal with the alcatel frog ( anyone remember that) I have alway6s been of the opinion that ISP supplied kit by and large is fecal matter .

Some ISPs do supply good kit, but at the budget end of the market occupied by the likes of Now, Plus net, Talk Talk etc you shouldn't expect wondrous wifi or any other frills.

For most people the supplied kit will do the job ( just about) however there are a few things that you can do to get the most out of the connection :

Download an android app called wifi analyzer and use this to see what wifi networks are in your areas as well as signal strengths etc

If your router supports 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi separate the bands - go to the router settings and you should be able to do this. 2.4 goes further but is a fraction slower although it will be more than fast enough for almost all things, 2.4 can also be more congested - pick a good channel and you should be fine. 5Ghz is a little faster and less congested, however speeds will slow down significantly the further you move away and where there are more objects in the way, sometimes if the bands are not separate a device may lock onto a 5Ghz signal when it would be better on 2.4.

to make it easy to spot give the 5Ghz network a different name - ie add 5Ghz to the end

Next location, whee is the router located? putting it in a cupboard, on the floor, by a TV,a microwave, a fishtank or even in a window ledge can affect the signal if you can place the router away from any obstructions and keep it centrally located. Also if you can plug it into the master socket - you can upgrade your master socket by fitting a NTE5 filtered face plate if you are OK with doing basic DIy stuff - there is a guide here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noILk3xBP2U make sure that the face plate is compatible with the mastersocket and never go beyond the customer end of the wiring - a filtered faceplate will also mean that you no longer have to use microfilters, but you can only plug the modem/router in to that socket

So youve tried all of that that you can and its still a load of fecal matter - as mentioned ISP supplied kit isnt generally upto much so go out and buy your own router modem - i did just that as my previous ISP supplied kit from plusnet wasnt all that good ( to say the least) I use a TP link Archer VR2800 and have no issues whatsoever with the wifi which is usable all over the property, down a long but narrow garden and beyond.

You will need to check that the router you want to buy is compatible with Now /Sky ( not all are) - search this forum for own router for more - but i certainly wouldnt consider switching ISP for the reason the supplied router is rubbish - if you use your own router always keep the one you got form the ISP as you may need it if there is a technical problem with your line - also some ISPs ask for the router to be returned if/when you leave/change ISP