cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

My WIFI Signal is poor

I have been with NOW BB for just a few weeks and now that the BB signal has settled down I am happy with the speed I am receiving if connected to the router by ethernet. The Wifi signal in the same room as the router gives a good signal and the download speed is good. However, as soon as I move to any other room the Wifi signal is poor with a 70% reduction in download speed and at the top of the house it is non-existent. With my previous internet provider (talktalk) the wifi signal was good all over the house. I have tried changing the router wifi channel but it does not make a difference.

Do NOW BB provide Wifi extenders to make sure I can get wifi all around my house?

PWaH

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi PWaH

Looks like I have the same problem.  

My particular problem is with calls using Wifi mobile phones.  The signal drops off and only improves when I'm back on the same floor as the router. As you say, need to know if Wifi boosters available? 

Greg73a

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi PWaH

Looks like I have the same problem.  

My particular problem is with calls using Wifi mobile phones.  The signal drops off and only improves when I'm back on the same floor as the router. As you say, need to know if Wifi boosters available? 

Greg73a

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry, this question is not solved. I am waiting for a reply from Now BB cust services

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Would be really interested to hear the response. I went online about a week before you and the speed in the living room is 35mbps. The signal drops to about 20mbps in the room directly above the router - and my house isn’t exactly made of solid stone. The old Sky router was much better - I used to get to the end of the garden and now I’m finding that really patchy. The garden is about 8 metres max. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Have you tried these instructions on your NowTV Hub 2 Router to see if there is any improvement ?

Your Hub Two is dual-band (2.4GHz and 5 GHz). Splitting these bands to create 2 different Wi-Fi networks can help to improve the speed to your devices. Here’s how to do it.

1. Open your web browser and enter "192.168.0.1” in the address bar.
  2. Select Maintenance and enter “admin” and “nowtv” as the username and password.
  3. Select Wireless and then 2.4 GHz Wireless Settings
  4. Scroll down to “Wireless Access Point” and uncheck Synchronise 2.4GHz and 5GHz Settings.
  5. In the ‘Name (SSID)’ box, Change the network name to distinguish it from the current network (e.g. add “_2.4G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  6. Check the network name has been updated, and then select 5GHz Wireless Settings.
  7. To be able to see easily which network is which on your devices, change the ‘Name (SSID)’ here too (e.g. add “_5G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  8. That’s it. Select Logout at the top of the screen to exit.

Also whilst in the web settings you could experiment with disabling IPV6 which seems to help with my NowTV Hub 2 in my home setup.

Also if you wish you can use your old Sky Router if you prefer, but should you need to do any Technical Checks online or need to speak to the NowTV Broadband Team then plug back in your NowTV Hub Router before you contact them. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I tried splitting my Wifi signal but it made no difference. In the end I bought a Netgear wifi booster that takes the signal from my router and retransmits it to the upper floors, albeit with a different network name and password. At least it means I have Wifi right across the house. Easy fix for £19.95 but it’s a shame that NowTV won’t provide the booster. I was also advised by online chat that I was quite within my rights to use any router I wished so I guess you could just plug in your old talktalk/sky/bt box and see if it works.

PWaH

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

They can be a mine of misinformation, those guys 😢

https://web.static.nowtv.com/images/NOWTV_2017/05_Combo/Contracts/NOW%20Broadband%20Contract%20March%202018.pdf

3.8 You must not use a modem or any other equipment that we have not supplied to you in order to access NOW Broadband.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Good spot Roy. Perhaps NowTV should just provide a better router with decent Wifi.

AnnieUpNorth
Mentor

Thank you. I have done this, but both signals are still poor. I am beginning to despair. When I was with EE I got a great wifi signal all around the house.

AnnieUpNorth
Mentor

I'm very disappointed with wifi. Splitting did not help.