cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GregD2023
Advocate

My Now Broadband is not as fast as the previous BT broadband on the same line

I am not sure why as the speeds are stable (35mb down, 5.9mb up) but having moved from BT, these speeds are much lower.  We used to get over 50mb down and 9 up

9 REPLIES 9
Tompo
Scholar 2

Hi @GregD2023 

From the speeds you have quoted it sounds like you may have signed up for the 'Fab Fibre' broadband plan which is capped at approx. 36Mbps download and 10Mbps upload regardless of your line's maximum capability. Check your account to see if this is your plan.

GregD2023
Advocate
I checked that as thought the same but my contract states superfibre. Tried the help widget and ended up here. I probably need to speak to someone 😂
Tompo
Scholar 2

@GregD2023 

Have you run NOW's technical checks to see what speeds they are recording for your connection, this could be different from measurements taken using other sites, and of course do it whilst no one is using the internet for the most accurate result.

It can take a little time for new connections to level off to the correct speed, although I can't remember off the top of my head if NOW ask you to wait a few days or a few weeks for this.

Also worth taking a look under the 'Broadband & calls' section and click the little down arrow beneath your broadband plan where there will be a guaranteed minimum download speed specified, which if not met permits you to exit your contract without charge or penalty.

NOW don't make it all that easy to find a number to contact a real person,  0330 332 3050 is a good start.

GregD2023
Advocate

Thanks @Tompo I’ve run the checks and will call the number 

Jayach
Elite 3

What are your DSL stats? (Sync speeds and SNR)

You should be able to find them here:

1. Open a new browser window and type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar, then press Enter.
  2. When prompted, enter the username admin and the password nowtv.
  3. Once signed in, select Maintenance from the options at the top.
  4. You'll find your DSL stats in the Modem section.
GregD2023
Advocate

Thanks @Jayach  thats where I hit the speeds from.

Jayach
Elite 3

@GregD2023 wrote:

Thanks @Jayach  thats where I hit the speeds from.

I was really interested in the SNR figures as they will show if the line speed is being held artificially low. (as would be the case if you were on the wrong service or DLM had intervened) 

Just what does the Openreach checker say for your line?https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL (Use the address checker if the number one doesn't work)

chilli2
Elite

Sync speed is not the same as the actual speed you will get.

What router are you using ? ( ie Now hub2, or own device - if own device then what)?

Are you trying this speed test over a wired connection ( ethernet)  or over wifi?

Has the Now broadband connection been active for 10 days or more?

Now are part of Sky, and they use a slightly different means to provide internet to you than BT retail, while it comes down the same wires that are maintained by Openreach  and it ends at an openreach exchange, the way it is handled at the exchange is slightly different being on what is known as Local Loop Unbundling (LLU) this means that Sky have their own equipment in the exchange ( and possibly elsewhere in the network) which can affect speeds and will trigger the 10 day dynamic line management training period where the system will check to see what speeds your line can handle for a stable connection over 10 days. Stability is prioritised over speed.

Another factor is the Now Hub2 router isnt that great ( to put it mildly) and while the BT smarthubs arent that great they are better than the junk Now ships .

When i tried the Now Hub2 i noticed lower speeds and a performance drop off over Ethernet and a significant drop in wifi performance .

gizz
Scholar

I found the speeds awful when i used the NOW Hub2 router - however I purchased a second hand SKY SR203 router on ebay for a tenner and it just plug n played right in,  and the wifi is much more stable and I am getting slightly better speeds as well.  It was well worth the additional outlay.  I no longer need my wifi extenders as the SKY hub reaches all the corners of my house - with the Now HUB2 router i needed 2 range extenders and even then it was troublesome.