cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jackatkins
Advocate

Moving the connection box

Hey, 

Currently the connection box in the wall that connects to the WiFi router is located in an area of the house where not all tenants can access. (In someone's bedroom) So we're obviously going to have to move it to another area of the house. Is this easy and possible on the day of installation? Or do we need to wait a certain amount of days after the installation date to be able to arrange this? Also will it cost me any extra to get this sorted?

Jack

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Saint1976
Elite 3

@Jackatkins if it's the master socket, I believe only Openreach will relocate it but Now may make the appointment on your behalf. Call the broadband team and ask the question.

I've seen quotes of £130+ on the BT Community page for the job.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Saint1976
Elite 3

@Jackatkins if it's the master socket, I believe only Openreach will relocate it but Now may make the appointment on your behalf. Call the broadband team and ask the question.

I've seen quotes of £130+ on the BT Community page for the job.

redchiz1
Champion 2

@Jackatkins Are you a tenant, or the landlord? If the latter I am not sure that NOW broadband allows use in the way you envisage. 

Jackatkins
Advocate

I am a Tennant. I am just sorting out the WiFi for the house and annoyingly the wall socket is in one of the other Tennants room. I am hoping we'll be able to move it.

redchiz1
Champion 2

Ah, OK, well in that case bear in mind that you may require the landlord's permission. 

Jayach
Elite 3

If multiple tenants are to be using this broadband, you shouldn't be taking out the contract, you may be liable for any breach of regulations. (downloading copywrite material, or worse)

Also I think you may find the Wi-Fi on the Now router won't be up to the job.

redchiz1
Champion 2

@Jackatkins Blimey, I bet you're glad you posted now! It isn't a student house you are moving into by any chance?

chilli2
Elite

If this is a HMO ( house of multiple ocupancy) then each tennant should have their own connection .

HMO's must be licensed as such  ( https://www.gov.uk/house-in-multiple-occupation-licence )

having the mastersocket in a Bedroom, while not unheard of is unusual, as its more common to find them in the living room, entrance /hallway or kitchen.

As above from Jayach, the account holder - ie you will be legally liable for everything that takes place over that internet connection, and that includes anything that is uploaded or downloaded - do a google search for the following:  Arrested for downloading  

And you will see what risk you are taking .

There are other  issues as well, multple people equals multiple devices all hogging bandwidth and slowing things down considerably .

The router and service from Now is designed for at best a family home ( and it struggles even then) , a couple or a single person , if you are using it to provide wifi in a HMO then it will quite simply not be up to the job .

My suggestion would be to use an alternative service, and tell those in the property that they need to sort out their own internet such as that  from a mobile netowrk operator ( ie Three home broadband)

Or look at a bespoke solution for HMOs and landlords who will provide the equipment and support that will do what you need

RoyB
Legend

@Jackatkins 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_in_multiple_occupation

The unit for Now Broadband is a household, and an HMO is multiple households.

Is this dwelling an HMO, or organised on some other basis?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.