cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Moved house, WiFi worked for an hour after engineer visit then dropped

Hello! 👋

I've recently moved house and had my NOW broadband transferred over to the new property. 

It was due to go live yesterday (Tuesday 12th July) following an engineer visit. He did his thing, left, and a few moments later we were up and running and everything was working fine. I WFH and was able to attend a Zoom meeting with no issues, but about an hour or so later it dropped and I haven't been able to get back online (currently using a BT hotspot at £7.99 a day 😬). The router has been in the same place this whole time, nothing has changed, so not too sure what's going on.

I've double-checked everything is plugged in, reset it about 20 times, called NOW and they've checked my line and there are no problems. They've booked another engineer to come but could be a week before they get here.

Not quite sure what my next steps are so if anyone could advise that would be great!

Thank you 🙂

6 REPLIES 6
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Have you tried splitting the Wi-fi bands?

https://help.nowtv.com/article/improve-broadband-speed

The thing is, it could be an issue on a line as far back as the cabinet. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Splitting the bands, if it achieves anything, is something to try when you have WiFi but it is working less than ideally.

Your issue sounds more severe than that, though.

Can you try an Ethernet connection to your router? If that doesn’t work, then it’s not just the WiFi on the fritz.

But if it does work, then your issue is with the WiFi, either configuration, or a fault with the router.

In which case, can you see if any reasonably smart device you have is reporting that it can connect to the router, but not beyond? Or not reporting anything at all, as it thinks it is connected to the internet, but it is empty?

Are there three green lights showing on the router?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Annoyingly the only laptop I have is a MacBook Air and I don't have a USB to Ethernet adapter. (I realise this will probably affect my ability to diagnose the issue 🤦‍♀️).

The other two lights, power and wireless, are both green, but there's no light at all for  internet. I have tried connecting multiple smartphones, a desktop computer, a laptop, an alexa device, tv stick, but all having the same problem. Literally right next to the router too and anytime I try to load anything I'm getting the "your connection has dropped" screen from NOW.

Jayach
Elite 3

@Anonymous User wrote:

power and wireless, are both green, but there's no light at all for  internet. .

If there is no light for the internet, it seems impossible that Now have tested you line as O.K.

It sounds like you are not connected to the cabinet, and only Openreach can cure that, assuming you have made sure all the connections at your end are securely fitted.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hmm not sure why they told me that. They said they've booked an engineer to look in the outside cabinet but couldn't give me an exact date when it'd be sorted, hence why I came here for answers as it's getting a bit costly using data and BT hotspots. 

Will chase them up tomorrow and see what's what. 

Thanks!

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automatic-compensation-need-know

If you are paying £7.99 a day for the BT Hotspot, then you are actually making £0.41 profit, from the £8.40 a day that Now is obligated to provide until your broadband is fixed 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.