cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Moved from SkyQ to NowTV for BB. Internet is terrible

Hi Everyone,

I'm in my last week to be able to pull out of my contact with Now TV, but so far the Internet performance has been terrible.  Our line is capable of 75mb as we used to have BT fibre+ a couple of years ago.  We switched to a full SkyQ package which has been working really great.  To save money I found a cheap NowTV deal, but am starting to regret it.  The hub (v2) is synced at 39.98mb but all our devices keep dropping off the internet.  The wifi signal says it's good, but upon checking my phone when the internet goes off, all the network information is blank.  I can either restart the phone, or disable wifi for a few seconds and then go back on.  It starts to work, but then will drop again.  Did a speedtest last night and got 2mb!

Wifi Analyzer has checked the house and says Channels 3,4, 9 and another one are fine which I've tried but made no difference

I've heard people say the v2 hubs are great, but I'm not convinced.  Tempted by buying the google wifi to see if things improve?

Just wondering if there is a limit these hubs can take?  In my house we have:

3 x Smart TVs

2 x Phones

Xbox

Switch

Laptop

3 x iPads

SkyQ TV box

Fire Stick

Nest Thermostat

Philps Hue bridge

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Wondering if you are getting the std fab fibre at around 36mbps rather than the super fibre at around 63mbps.

When you did a Technical Check on your account option what was the line speed down and up figures saying ?

When you go to Broadband & Calls on your account does it say you are on super fibre ?

Have you tried a factory reset on the Hub router by pressing the small reset button on the back of router for about 10 seconds to see if there is any improvement with your line down speed and wifi coverage ?

Would suggest phoning the broadband team for them to carry out further checks at their end on your telephone line.

Go to Orders & Appointments and you should see a telephone number by clicking on the green drop down arrow under live broadband & telephone date.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, we did downgrade to the 40mb package which is enough for us.  It would be nice just to have something without it keep cutting out.  Strange as the wireless signal seems good, it just cuts out.  It's not every device at the same time though which is really bizarre.  It's as if the DHCP scope is set to 5 devices, and when the sixth one connects it drops one of the others to take its place.  I know it's not this as the scope is 245 devices, but that's what it feels like.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

A few people have mentioned a drop in their wifi after about 20 minutes, where you might have a defective hub 2 router or a setting needs changing.

Have a word with the nowtv broadband team to see if they can help.

I have setup 3 number nowtv Hub 2 routers for myself and family members and from my experience the wifi has been excellent with no drop outs and i also came from BT with their Homehub router.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Yes, we did downgrade to the 40mb package which is enough for us.  It would be nice just to have something without it keep cutting out.  Strange as the wireless signal seems good, it just cuts out.  It's not every device at the same time though which is really bizarre.  It's as if the DHCP scope is set to 5 devices, and when the sixth one connects it drops one of the others to take its place.  I know it's not this as the scope is 245 devices, but that's what it feels like.

Seems like you only have 15-20 devices at a time. The hub supports 64 Devices (due to a limit in CPU Power not Subnet) so you should be well clear of any throttling. Have you tried on 5.GHz only and 2.4Ghz only @Anonymous User

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah the first things I tried was splitting the 2.4 and 5 wireless, and then trying different channels.  The wireless signal looks strong, just random devices seem to lose their ip address and drop the internet.  I know the internet still works as yesterday when my phone and ipad dropped, the tv was still playing netflix.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah the first things I tried was splitting the 2.4 and 5 wireless, and then trying different channels.  The wireless signal looks strong, just random devices seem to lose their ip address and drop the internet.  I know the internet still works as yesterday when my phone and ipad dropped, the tv was still playing netflix.

Sorry for the very late reply @Anonymous User I was off for the past few days. Did you manage to find the problem at all? It's very strange. Was your netflix device hardwired in?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the help Tony, really appreciated.  No, all my devices are wireless.

In the end, I went out and bought a google Wifi twin pack as I wanted the extra features anyway regardless of if the router/line had a fault.  Fortnuately all my problems have since disappeared since I set it all up.  Very happy now, it's much better.  In fact, I don't think our internet has ever been as fast.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks for the help Tony, really appreciated.  No, all my devices are wireless.

In the end, I went out and bought a google Wifi twin pack as I wanted the extra features anyway regardless of if the router/line had a fault.  Fortnuately all my problems have since disappeared since I set it all up.  Very happy now, it's much better.  In fact, I don't think our internet has ever been as fast.

Haha @Anonymous User I think you've given me the motivation to do this with my own Wi-Fi network to be honest. Thank you for the help too 🙂