cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Microsoft Teams - video calls drop repeatedly

Morning. 

I've been having problems with Microsoft Teams for a while - thought I'd finally post to see if anyone can help resolve the issue. 

During video calls (it's my work's remote video call program of choice), my colleagues will regularly freeze and then Teams will lose its connection. 

My building doesn't have fibre; I'm on the base level system as that's all NOWTV can provide - so that might be part of the issue; but would welcome any advice as it's become quite frustrating trying to lead a team and provide feedback only to find your colleagues have missed the last 30 seconds of what you've said. 

3 REPLIES 3
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

What internet speed are you getting?

Microsoft claim 1.2 Mbps is a sufficient speed for Teams to work well, with HD video, though you would need to ensure you had that free and clear of any other domestic usages of your bandwidth, including what else the laptop you are running it on might be consuming.

And you might want to ensure that your work people have read and fully implemented:-

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/prepare-network

I have used Sky broadband at a modest 17Mbps for work, and it was rock solid, though I repeatedly hear that NowTV broadband isn’t as good; which I don’t understand, as I thought it was the same service as Sky with the same equipment at both ends, including the domestic router they supply.

But perhaps it isn’t?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the link - I'm going to have a read through that now. 

At best I get 15Mb, however, it varies and can drop below 1Mb (we're into kbps) at some points which is probably the cause. 

I think the issue is the speed is inconsistent which is causing it to drop; but I'll have a read of the Teams page you sent through to see if there's anything in there that will help. 

Appreciate the quick response. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Welcome to my world, been having identical problems since mid September; look for my posts on the first page of this forum.

Do you actually lose your broadband connection when you drop off a call? Does the middle light on your router go out, before flashing orange and then green when it reconnects? Mine does.

2 engineers and a new router have not fixed the problem. I'm at the end of my tether.