cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Howarp
Advocate

Long Delay before HD starts

I purchased entertainment, sports and a free 1 month boost pass yesterday.

When trying to view any SPORTS live sports channels the picture quality initially is appalling then after approximately 1 to 2 mins the quality switches to HD.

Playing entertainment live content starts in HD immediately no problem.

Same result using Sony OLED or LED TV or using Amazon fire stick 4K, I have 150mb fibre to the home internet and Netflix or Amazon prime apps do not display this video quality lag.

I’ve signed out of my Now account and then back in - no change.

Any ideas on how to rectify this?

3 REPLIES 3
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Howarp 

Have noticed a fairly long delay in the picture sorting itself out for on demand content and on other apps like Paramount+. 

This is on my Sony Bravia YouView TV too. 

That being said on live TV i can't comment as I rarely watch it. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Howarp 

The majority of my playback devices when watching NOW live Sky Sports, either starting watching a Sky Sports live channel from switch on or channel hopping on the live Sky Sports channels takes a while to ramp up to full HD picture quality with Boost.

The devices I own is a BT 4K Youview box, Amazon Fire Stick 4K, Chromecast Google 4K TV and the worst one for me is the Amazon Fire Stick.

The Amazon  Fire Stick used to take around 20 seconds to ramp up to full HD, but over the last year it now takes longer, more like 35 to 40 seconds.

My BT Youview box using the NOW App when watching live Sky Sports is around 10 to 20 seconds to reach 1080p full HD.

1 to 2 minutes seems a bit extreme from my experience though.

Maybe has a temporary test try the Google Public DNS on one of your playback devices to see if there is any speed up improvement to reach 1080p more quickly.

Where my NOW branded devices and Roku Stick when watching live Sky Sports ramps up immediately to full HD with Boost when starting watching a live Sky Sports channel or changing to other live Sky Sports channels.

Howarp
Advocate

Thanks for the responses, will try Google DNS settings.