cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
siriuscat
Scholar

Live date passed with no NOW connection but previous isp still working?

The ‘Live’ date for adsl Broadband was yesterday and the NOW hub light is still orange. I’ve called help, tests were done and was told the line is active. An engineer should be sent to check internal wiring.

However, If I plug my previous isp (plusnet) router back in everything works fine. The help line suggested that I should call plusnet to cancel my account with them. Is that not their job? And as plusnet (adsl) is still active, would this affect the Now broadband connection?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
siriuscat
Scholar

Tried calling but nobody could understand the problem or just weren't interested.

I figured out the solution: just cancel the NOW Broadband contract and remain with plusnet. Just a shame that because I have cancelled, a complete stranger has had their landline cut off. I feel for them.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
Jayach
Elite 3

The only problem with cancelling PlusNet directly is that you risk downtime, and possibly losing the phone number.

I think part of the problem is that @siriuscat is on ADSL, the Ofcom rules seem to apply specifically to VDSL(FTTC) connections.

redchiz1
Champion 2

The Ofcom rules apply to any connection carried over a phoneline, which includes ADSL and VDSL. Unfortunately if you do not ask the gaining provider to take your existing phone number you can get caught up in this kind of mess. 

Jayach
Elite 3

@redchiz1 wrote:

Unfortunately if you do not ask the gaining provider to take your existing phone number you can get caught up in this kind of mess. 

That would make sense, the phone number would identify the the correct line on the Openreach database specifically.

siriuscat
Scholar

I was quite OK with them changing the landline number to a new one,  but they didn't. I still have my original landline number. I also think I could renew my contract with Plusnet and would NOW even know? (i wont do this until sorted by the way). But the more I think about it the more bizarre it gets.

Jayach
Elite 3

@siriuscat wrote:

I was quite OK with them changing the landline number to a new one,  but they didn't. I still have my original landline number. 

How do you know you still have your original number, if you are not yet on Now?

siriuscat
Scholar

I called myself.

I also called the other mystery landline number that NOW have activated. It was engaged at first then later on it did ring. So it seems to be a legit number (I hung up before it was answered). 

redchiz1
Champion 2

If you still have your previous landline number then you are clearly still with Plusnet and there really is no way that NOW should be charging you. Get back to them with this information. 

siriuscat
Scholar

Yes I checked who is my ISP and its 100% plusnet. I eventually (4 calls) convinced a NOW advisor of the unusual problem. He still couldn't quite get his head around it but was very apologetic. He said there was no point in doing a line test as its not my line so he escalated the issue to someone higher. He is hoping to reply Sunday.

redchiz1
Champion 2

OK, do keep us posted. What a saga!

siriuscat
Scholar

Will do and thanks for the support!