cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
siriuscat
Scholar

Live date passed with no NOW connection but previous isp still working?

The ‘Live’ date for adsl Broadband was yesterday and the NOW hub light is still orange. I’ve called help, tests were done and was told the line is active. An engineer should be sent to check internal wiring.

However, If I plug my previous isp (plusnet) router back in everything works fine. The help line suggested that I should call plusnet to cancel my account with them. Is that not their job? And as plusnet (adsl) is still active, would this affect the Now broadband connection?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
siriuscat
Scholar

Tried calling but nobody could understand the problem or just weren't interested.

I figured out the solution: just cancel the NOW Broadband contract and remain with plusnet. Just a shame that because I have cancelled, a complete stranger has had their landline cut off. I feel for them.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
redchiz1
Champion 2

It will definitely be worth contacting Plusnet to check from their end. Although how you could possibly have two services active on the same line is beyond me, so something is not right. 

siriuscat
Scholar

Its beyond me too. I pretty sure I'm now paying for for 2 ISPs though.

siriuscat
Scholar

It seems to be that NOW haven't being doing their job.

They haven't booked the switch with Openreach. Because of this Openreach wont have contacted Plusnet who in turn do not know I was leaving so have not contacted me. Ofcom rules dictate that I have to be contacted before the switch date so I can refuse the switch if I choose to (cooloing off period).

It is not up to me to contact Plusnet as NOW suggested. It is their responsiblity not mine. Sending an NOW engineer is pointless. You cannot have TWO adsl connections on one line at the same time.

siriuscat
Scholar

Just talked to NOW. They said they are suppling my internet via the plusnet router. This is a lie. Plusnet are still my supplier.

redchiz1
Champion 2

Did you ask to keep your existing NOW Plusnet phone number when switching to NOW and was this confirmed? If not, then Plusnet will not have been advised of the switch. 

siriuscat
Scholar

I'm not enrirely sure if I did to be honest. But if they changed my landline number wouldn't plusnet be automatically cut off? I'm not sure. 

After talking to another NOW representative it looks like they have activated my NOW adsl b/band and calls but to a different landline number to mine. I still have my plusnet number so when I call NOW from my landline, the line tests the do are coming back as OK but they aren't testing my number, they're testing someone elses line. Am I now paying for somebody else's b/band and calls? Is this even possible!?

I've been told they can't arrange an engineer as its too close to the going live date but the problem has been escalated. I'm waiting for a call. Hopefully they call the right number. Thanks for your reply.

chilli2
Elite

If the plusnet router is working then plusnet are supplying you, this should state your isp https://www.speedtest.net/   for now it will read as sky.

It would appear that for whatever reason the migration to now has not gone through

siriuscat
Scholar

I appreciate the link. Plusnet is still my isp.

According to NOW advisors the adsl NOW broadband and calls package was sucessfully activated yesterday. I also think it has been activated but unfortunately to a different phone number than mine. I'm not sure how this can even happen but it is what I've been told.

redchiz1
Champion 2

It can happen. You need to cancel with Plusnet directly.