cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Linksys Velop as wifi extender

Hi y'all,

I am using a NOWTV Hub2, and have been trying to find out if my spare Linksys Velop WHW01 can be used a wifi extender.  I've tried the web based platform for my Linksys and attempted WPS linking etc....

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

9 REPLIES 9
allanc
Scholar 3

I would go for a powerline adapter.  It uses your electric cables as one  big ethernet 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks @allanc I have heard of those but wasn't sure on their reliability. Can you recommend a particular model to use with the Hub2? Cheers
allanc
Scholar 3

As reliable as 20 metres of ethernet cable but your internal electric cables take care of 18 metres of ethernet. I know i used them 10 or so years ago.  For example

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/bt-broadband-extender-flex-...

allanc
Scholar 3

Also there are 2 types passthrough and non passthrough. Passthrough you plug into a wall socket and has its own socket to plug your device into.  Another one is TP-LINK they do passthrough and non passthrough. And they have been into network cabling long before BT. Personally i would go TP-LINK with passthrough IMHO

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@allanc  "Passthrough you plug into a wall socket and has its own socket to plug your device into" - By this, do you mean I plug my Linksys Velop into it or a computer, for example?

All devices are pretty much wifi only so, can't have any cables plugged into them i.e. iPad, MacBook Air etc so, would passthrough still be necessary?

allanc
Scholar 3

Ok,  i admit i don't know what velop. Is it a router, smart speaker or other ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@allanc Yep, its a router.

Would you recommend this as a wifi extender?  https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5585575

allanc
Scholar 3

Appears to cover ethernet and wifi extender in one package and a well known brand  Where did the Linksys Velop WHW01 come from ?

allanc
Scholar 3