cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Kindle Fire won't connect to internet

Since moving my broadband to NowTV (from Sky), 2 different Kindles in the house can't pick up an internet connection. 

* Both connect to NowTV WiFi, but with a warning ! through the WiFi symbol indicating no internet

* Any apps/silk browser time out when trying to access internet resources  

* Models are Kindle Fire 7 (4th Gen) and a Fire HD 6 (4th Gen) on the latest firmware  

* Devices were fine prior to change to NowTV

* Devices connect fine on other WiFi (other homes, hotspot on mobiles etc.) 

* Router has been hard reset

* WiFi connection has been dropped, powered off/on and re-added 

* Devices have been factory reset and both fail during the registration process, I can register them when connecting to a mobile hotspot and they operate normally after this. 

* Other devices are connected on the NowTV router without issue (iPad, laptop, VPN phone) 

Is anyone aware of any unique config required on the NowTV router to handle Kindle? 

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update;

I have since tried the following;

* On NowTV hub, unchecked the Synchronise 2.4 / 5Ghz settings (apparently this can cause confusion)
* Created a different SSID for each frequency (2.4 and 5 GHz)
   * This was a bit of a pain, as you had to re-connect each wireless device to the right frequency

Neither of these worked, so I reverted

* As it felt like a DNS issue (to me), i tried setting one of the devices with a static IP address, using OpenDNS
   * Link - https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/articles/228009127-Amazon-Kindle-Fire 
   * This worked ok for a couple of days, but seems to have reverted to the same issue as before.

Interestingly, i checked in with NowTV support, who stated that AMAZON KINDLE DEVICES ARE NOT SUPPORTED!! Incredibly, this seems to be because they are a competitor platform, which seems crazy. Neither the tech nor i think for a minute that Kindles will be blocked at the router level, this would require some sort of device blacklisting, but it means that no-one at Now will help me

They suggested that i contact Amazon for advice, but both devices are out of warranty, so I'm back to trawling web forums

It's not my top priority, but this is becoming a pain for me.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, my firestick doesn't load with nowtv broadband, do you think this is for the same reason your kindle won't work? 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I cannot get my kindle 5th generation to connect to nowtv router. I have just installed a fire stick to the router with no problem. I have heard that nowtv will not help as it is a competitor. surely not!