cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kam2023
Mentor

Keeping existing landline number (switching from Sky)

I've seen a few people say they can/couldn't keep their existing Sky landline number when switching to NOW, can anyone confirm?

I'm thinking of making the move but I will need to keep my number.

15 REPLIES 15
Kam2023
Mentor

Sorry, yeah it does. The 'NOW phone number' is my existing landline number with Sky. I wasn't sure if the poster in the linked post might have got the same email so thinking there is still a chance for it to be cancelled.

redchiz1
Champion 2

Well if it is your existing phone number then all would appear to be good.  🙂

redchiz1
Champion 2

Within minutes when I signed up I got an email confirming the go live date along with the account number and phone number, which was the one being switched. 

Kam2023
Mentor

The switchover finally happened, here are a few notes:

I received letters in the post confirming that broadband would switch on 27/03 however the other letter said SkyTalk would end on 12/03. I assumed that was an error as I thought they would need to switch both at the same time. However looking at my NOW bill, they began tracking/charging calls on 12/03 so it must have switched then. This was a totally smooth process, I didn't even notice 🙂 We've still got our existing Sky landline number and calls are working as normal.

I switched the hubs on 27/03 in the evening, Sky was still working when I made the change. I checked the Sky speed before disconnecting using Ookla, it was 50.9 Mbps download and 15.8 Mbps upload. Once the NOW hub was setup, I did a test and got 40.7 Mbps download and 2.42 Mbps upload. We already had a Netgear router (which my brother had set up a few years back) so I had also linked those up. Initially, the connection was a little iffy, when streaming it would freeze here and there. I then split the wifi-bands to see if it would help. Since then I've checked the speed using Ookla, I've had:

26/03/2023 - 50.9 / 15.8 (with Sky Broadband)
27/03/2023 - 40.7 / 2.42
27/03/2023 - 33.9 / 13.9
28/03/2023 - 49.0 / 15.4
29/03/2023 - 35.8 / 14.8
02/04/2023 - 40.0 / 15.4

It seems to fluctuate a little bit as you can see but it's all working fine for me now. Besides that first day of having issues with the streaming, I've not had any other issues since. I've got streaming setup to connect to Netgear (the signal is better than the NOW router) and my laptop/PC connects directly to NOW. Everything seems to be working as it was with Sky, I know the speed above is slower but I've not really noticed any difference. I'm glad I made the switch, I'm paying less than I was before plus I got the cashback from Quidco.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Kam2023 

Give it ten days as the line will have tests etc done to it.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/why-does-my-broadband-speed-vary-in-the-first-ten-days

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Jayach
Elite 3

@Kam2023 

Thanks for confirming your phone number transferred from Sky O.K., it seems strange that some people have trouble with it. I think it may be to do with if you had been transferred to digital voice whilst on Sky.

Are those speed test all over Wi-Fi? If so could you try a wired connection.