cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Livewire191
Advocate

Just need a bit of Technical help.

I have recently aquired a second computer (an old company hand me down), I've put in a new power supply to repair the pc in order to get it going again and a new hard drive and sorted out all the silly little things to get it running again.

(Here's where the fun begins!)

Due to it's new home it required a signal extender as a powerline adaptor is not currently an option, the pc has connection to the extender but keeps showing up as having no internet.

I need a bit of help trying to figure this problem out.

16 REPLIES 16
RoyB
Legend

@Livewire191 

I trust this is Now Broadband you are trying to connect to? Otherwise your question is rather out of scope for the Community.

But the first thing is that you need two PLAs, not just one, for this to work. And ideally, they should be the same make and model, though different ones may still interoperate.

One PLA should be near the Now router, and connected to it by an Ethernet cable, and plugged directly into a mains wall socket, not via an extender cable.

The second PLA should be near the PC, and connected to it by an Ethernet cable, and again plugged directly into a mains wall socket, not via an extender cable.

The PLAs need to pair, which the instructions with your particular PLAs should explain to you, if they don’t pair automatically.

I always recommend, if the link still can’t be established,that you reboot the router and let it settle, then reboot the PLA at the router end and let it settle, then the one nearest the PC likewise, and finally reboot the PC itself.

For all this to work, the two PLAs must be on the same ring mains; usually a given in a modern property, but not always the case in an old one.

If you can’t get the setup working, and we are talking about Now Broadband, please come back for more advice.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Livewire191
Advocate

As mentioned in my post PLA's are currently not an option for me so i'm having to use an Extender.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

You say it is connected to the extender, but is the extender connected to the router?

If you move it closer to the router can you connect direct? Are these connections wired or Wi-Fi?

Livewire191
Advocate

Secondary PC connected to Router Extender - Ethernet cable = No issues

Router Extender connected to Router - Wireless = No issues

Router Extender connected to Router = No Internet

The Extender is as close to the Secondary PC as possible as the cable supplied is only 12 inches long.

Moving the Router not possible either as if moved there will be no power or connection for the other devices that are currently connected.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Livewire191 wrote:

Secondary PC connected to Router Extender - Ethernet cable = No issues

Router Extender connected to Router - Wireless = No issues

Router Extender connected to Router = No Internet

I'm still a bit confused. What extender do you have?

If the extender is connected to the router wirelessly, are you saying you have a 12" Ethernet cable to connect it to the PC?

RoyB
Legend

@Livewire191 

Sorry, I misread your post 😢

In your reply above with the dashes in, can you clarify if these signify links, or minus signs, or what?

Is this Now Broadband you are trying to connect to, over a Now-supplied router?

If so, what is the make and model of extender, and what Mode have you got it set in?

Can you, at least temporarily, move the PC near enough to the router to make a direct Ethernet connection, and satisfy yourself and us whether the PC can see the internet that way?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Livewire191
Advocate

I would upload an image to explain it better but this site doesn't have the capacity to do so. I've explained as best I can.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

You could at least tell us the make/model  of extender.

And describe it like this:

PC - Ethernet or wireless - extender (model no) - Ethernet or wireless - Router.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

And I can post images, but perhaps that because I have been here awhile.

JohnH1_0-1650233061006.png