cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Issues with service and support

Hello, 

I recently switched over to NowTV with a guaranteed 37mbps. I pay for the 63mbps and have always got around 54/60mbps however recently a month after switching to nowtv again from talktalk, I tend to jump between providers this is my 2nd time on NOW I'm getting just 20mbp/s. Having been a network engineer with load balancing technology. I know this is not my internal network. However to try and stop the 1st line support from reading off their script and blaming my PC. I have swapped out my switch and upgraded to a new cat6 as I was due an upgrade anyway and finally figured I would reinstall windows as I use everything on the cloud and require no installing so it was quick. However, support is beyond useless and continues to blame my setup despite having zero ideas about what I'm talking about when I discuss the issue. One went as far as to blame me for changing the subnet to 192.168.1x as opposed to the 192.168.0.0 range however could not explain why this would be an issue. Line tests and ping times seem fine. Judging that the router is trash based on the spec that is clearly outdated I suspect it is this causing the issue. How do I proceed with anyone who is competent and not reading off a script before I tear my hair out?

16 REPLIES 16
Jayach
Elite 3

In dealing with first line support, just remember they are only doing their job. They have a script and tick boxes. Just make sure you give the correct answers to enable then to tick their boxes. Once they get to the end of their script, they can pass you on.

redchiz1
Champion 2

@Anonymous User 

Have you tried connecting at the test socket? Subject to that, if your speed remains below the guaranteed minimum then NOW have 30 days in which to fix it, otherwise you are free to leave for another provider without penalty. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Yep and swapped out the filter ect
redchiz1
Champion 2

@Anonymous User 

Various capable limits are immaterial, it is your guaranteed minimum that is at issue. If your line rate is below that then you need to point this out to NOW and remind them of their obligations. As I said earlier, if they cannot fix it within 30 days then you have a right to leave without penalty. Whether that would actually lead to a better speed with another provider is a different matter, it all depends on the quality of the Openreach wiring to your home. 

Jayach
Elite 3

@redchiz1 wrote:

Various capable limits are immaterial,

No they are not. they give you an expectation of your maximum. Guaranteed speed sets your minimum.

@redchiz1 wrote:

Whether that would actually lead to a better speed with another provider is a different matter, it all depends on the quality of the Openreach wiring to your home. 

And @Anonymous User already knows that 50Mbs is capable on their line, they have had it with previous ISP's. (including Now)

redchiz1
Champion 2

@Jayach 

No ISP will countenance an Openreach investigation for a speed issue where it is above the guaranteed minimum. And lines can and do deteriorate with time and increases in load. The important point remains: if below the guaranteed minimum, then the customer should insist on action. 

Jayach
Elite 3

@redchiz1 wrote:

The important point remains: if below the guaranteed minimum, then the customer should insist on action. 

Totally agree with that, however their are some (smaller) ISP's who would investigate an unexpected drop in performance of the line and pass it to Openreach if they felt it warranted.

Zen and possibly A&A come to mind.

Up to now @Anonymous User has got 50/60Mbs on multiple ISPs. If they were to now be getting 38Mbs, whilst above Now's quoted minimum, I think it would should require investigation.

But you are correct, Now would not be obliged to do so.