cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Isolating the 2.4ghz frequency for smart bulbs

HI,

I’ve bought some smart bulbs but I’ve struggled to connect them. When I logged into my router, it is showing 2 channels for WiFi which seem to be merged. But I only want one of them for the bulbs. Is there any way I can assign the channel or have 2 WiFi streams?

thank you for any help

x

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Use these instructions below to split the two wifi bands on your Hub 2 Router.

Then if your devices use or prefer the 2.4ghz wifi band, then select this wifi frequency with the allocated SSID network you have renamed when setting them up with the Router.

Your Hub Two is dual-band (2.4GHz and 5 GHz). Splitting these bands to create 2 different Wi-Fi networks can help to improve the speed to your devices. Here’s how to do it:

1. Open your web browser and enter "192.168.0.1” in the address bar.
  2. Select Maintenance and enter “admin” and “nowtv” as the username and password.
  3. Select Wireless and then 2.4 GHz Wireless Settings
  4. Scroll down to “Wireless Access Point” and uncheck Synchronise 2.4GHz and 5GHz Settings.
  5. In the ‘Name (SSID)’ box, Change the network name to distinguish it from the current network (e.g. add “_2.4G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  6. Check the network name has been updated, and then select 5GHz Wireless Settings.
  7. To be able to see easily which network is which on your devices, change the ‘Name (SSID)’ here too (e.g. add “_5G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  8. That’s it. Select Logout at the top of the screen to exit.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Use these instructions below to split the two wifi bands on your Hub 2 Router.

Then if your devices use or prefer the 2.4ghz wifi band, then select this wifi frequency with the allocated SSID network you have renamed when setting them up with the Router.

Your Hub Two is dual-band (2.4GHz and 5 GHz). Splitting these bands to create 2 different Wi-Fi networks can help to improve the speed to your devices. Here’s how to do it:

1. Open your web browser and enter "192.168.0.1” in the address bar.
  2. Select Maintenance and enter “admin” and “nowtv” as the username and password.
  3. Select Wireless and then 2.4 GHz Wireless Settings
  4. Scroll down to “Wireless Access Point” and uncheck Synchronise 2.4GHz and 5GHz Settings.
  5. In the ‘Name (SSID)’ box, Change the network name to distinguish it from the current network (e.g. add “_2.4G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  6. Check the network name has been updated, and then select 5GHz Wireless Settings.
  7. To be able to see easily which network is which on your devices, change the ‘Name (SSID)’ here too (e.g. add “_5G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  8. That’s it. Select Logout at the top of the screen to exit.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you so much!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, having the same issue but I have the original hub not the hub 2 so I don’t have the option of unticking synchronise 2.4/5ghz. 
i changed the mode and channel to auto and managed to get them connected but putting it back to the 54g performance mode it was on before they now won’t work, any ideas? Cheers 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, I have the same issue as you, don't have the option to untick, then set up a 5ghz option. Did you get a fix please? Cheers, Lorraine

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not as such, contacted nowtv and they sent me the newer router which I was able to connect them through

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If there is no option under the NOW Hub Router webpage setting for 5ghz i am assuming you are not using the older Hub 1 Router (the one with the smiley white face when the internet is running fine) which is limited to 2.4ghz only.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps

Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm on the router with the smiley face. I'm moving house soon therefore I'll try to get a new router then 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

No harm asking the NOW Broadband Team for the newer NOW Hub 2 Router that offers both 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi bands.

If NOW supplies you the NOW Hub 2, it might be a good idea to take the old Hub 1 Router with you to your new home.

I have never owned a NOW Hub 1 with the smiley face on the front but a couple of forum members who have owned both reckon the older Hub 1 seems to have better wifi coverage if you can get away with using 2.4ghz only.

Personally myself i have never had a problem with the NOW Hub 2 and wifi coverage seems to work fine in my home setup and home environment.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you. Worked a treat.